Chapter 84

Running at full speed with Marie in his arms and the wolf at his side, Gabriel continued clenching his teeth, nothing to do with the weight of his maid or that the more he pushed himself, the more difficult it was for him to breathe.

And her silence was suddenly eating away at him.

He knew that maybe she was still in shock from... whatever had just happened.

Because when that thing was about to reach her, just under the light of the moon, a luminescent energy began to come out of her. That left the entire panorama paralyzed. Before his eyes, her silhouette rose and the creature began to scream in pain with its skin peeling off in bloody flames. Idiotized, he could see how it retreated...

Only to notice a taller figure next to her. Some kind of... shadow?

All the alarms went off in his head and he didn't wait for the glow in her to disappear before lashing out at the already weakened creature, with the wolf tearing apart what was left of it. He had called the girl by her name, but she did not respond and when he decided to do something with that entity... it disappeared.

As it manifested itself, it fell apart as if it had never been there. Only then did the light do the same and he rushed to hold the girl in his arms before she collapsed to the ground.

Seriously, what the hell just happened?

He could think about that later, he had to get her to safety as soon as possible, before...

Both he and the wolf stopped dead, making her gasp, while the wolf growled at something in the shadows.

One, two, three... seven of those things emerged, soaked in blood, with their jaws practically hanging open.

Damn, could they handle everyone without leaving Marie vulnerable?

Besides...

"Gabriel," she whispered in his ear, distressed.

Fleeing went against all of his instincts, but in this terrain they would be surrounded and they would be lost soon, any recklessness would cost them dearly.

Come on, think... think!

Ponvi's snort caught her attention and he could see her making signs to him that he recognized immediately.

"Do you want me to follow you, boy?" he mumbled.

"Don't you say he knows the forest?" she exhaled.

As the animal insisted, he had no choice but to agree.

"Come on boy."

They took a step back... two...

"Run!"

It didn't take a moment for them to be pursued. He heard them scrape their claws against the dirt and brush behind them, and even glide. That might have worried him if it weren't for the fact that the path the wolf was taking them on was so thick that they could barely move forward, much less large beings like those.

"Well thought out, boy," he snorted sarcastically.

"Gabriel, that's..."

"Aye..."

The ruined building loomed in the distance, the one that had been the home of Marie and her sisters, that the brothers had guarded for so long... He had to assume that with the chaos in the main building, they had decided that the priority tonight was not there. What had once been a splendid site for the education of maidens now seemed like a huge pile of rubble that nature was beginning to reclaim.

"Ponvi... why...?" she began to ask.

"Because he is smarter than all of us" he responded with a hint of pride "that is more than certain."