Part 1

Author's Note: This part takes place after 1x03 (Isabel's OD).

***

Lucy is apprehensive as she enters the gym before shift. It's far too early for any sane person to be here, but Tim had insisted, so what choice did she have? She's wary — unsure of how Tim will behave towards her — given everything they had gone through the day prior.

Isabel's overdose. The fight with the bikers. They're confrontation at Isabel's apartment over the Narcan. And the moment of unexpected vulnerability in the shop afterward.

Her relief at having successfully passed a Tim Test at the end of shift was sadly short-lived, however, when he'd ordered her to meet him in the gym "First thing before shift tomorrow, Boot!"

He's waiting for her, and though his gym attire of basketball shorts and a muscle tee should make him appear less intimidating, the scowl on his face quickly compensates for any laid-back informality his apparel may imply.

"You're late, Boot. You planning to hang out in the doorway all day?"

"N-no, sir," Lucy stammers, hurrying the rest of the way into the gym before stopping a few feet shy of him, unsure of what to do next.

"You're scared, Boot."

"Excuse me, sir?"

"You're scared now, and it's obvious you were scared with Ghosthead. And with the bikers yesterday. I wanted to do this sooner, but, well, I got shot."

Lucy frowns, and despite herself, she can feel her temper flaring. "With all due respect, sir, of course I was. Yesterday, it was 15 on two. And with Ghosthead, you practically instigated that fight—"

Tim shakes his head, cutting her off, "It doesn't matter. You can't let them see your fear, Boot. You can think whatever you want about those situations, but I needed to know whether you could handle yourself out there. Now I do."

Lucy glares at him, "And?"

He stares back at her.

"Sir," she adds quickly, irritation rising in her chest.

Tim shrugs, "With Ghosthead, you let him get on top of you. You managed to hold him off that time, but run that same scenario 10 different times, and more often than not, he gets your gun. There's room for improvement."

Lucy huffs defensively, and Tim raises an eyebrow in response. "That is unless you think you're too good to improve? Is that it, Boot? You think you're so good you can't benefit from any constructive criticism, any additional coaching?"

Lucy shakes her head vigorously, "No, sir. I'm here and I'm ready to learn."

Tim continues to stare at her, and Lucy marvels at how such beautiful blue eyes can be capable of inflicting so much terror while simultaneously trying not to flinch under his icy gaze.

"Good. Then let's go. We're going to go through it until you get it right."

And to Tim's credit, that's exactly what they do. He forces Lucy back into the wall of the gym repeatedly, until she is finally able to prevent him from getting on top of her.

It's not like any kind of sparring Lucy has done before. He doesn't hold back at all, coming at Lucy with the same force and unpredictability that Ghosthead did.

He steps back after their first round and registers the surprise on her face. "What, Boot? You didn't think I was going to go easy on you, did you? You think the criminals out on the street are going to look at your pretty little face and give you a pass?"