Chapter 2

8/24/23

How was it possible he found his childhood best friend in the most random place on phyrira? And he actually survived the fire?

To put it simply- Firetip and Krait were orphans. Always have been. Never knew anything bout their real parents. Sometimes the orphanage felt so nice, especially around Krait. Krait was really the only one who wanted to be around Firetip, even if he was just a gross hybrid. 

But sometimes, the orphanage felt like living hell.

He could still remember it. The screams. The burn. The eyes. Fowl would growl back, hurt him if he was struggling. Firetip still remembered the feeling of her claws piercing through his skin. It pained Firetip more than anything to remember the things she called him, and it wasn't just her who did these things.

None of them acknowledged his real name, they called him hybrid. That was the only point of him being there, so they could take advantage of what he was. Nobody knew, Firetip couldn't tell anyone. Not even Krait.

Krait was the one who shared the same room as Firetip. When Fowl and the other dragons in charge of the dragonets taught them, Krait sat right next to Firetip.

Krait never called Firetip names, in fact he stood up for Firetip. Every time when Firetip would come back to him crying, Krait knew something was going on. But Firetip could never talk. What would Krait do about it? And Fowl, it would get worse if she knew he told Krait.

Firetip suddenly refocused, feeling uncomfortable each time he thought about his past. Their first lesson was sooner than expected, they were taught chasing and how to stop running and flying dragons. They gathered in the field, Coyote instructed for them to get in pairs.

 "Fly towards the dragon as fast as you can, if you need, take shortcuts." Coyote explained. Surprisingly he didn't say anything stupid about the hybrids yet, it was just Firetip. "Grab their shoulders, keep yourself above them, and dive towards the ground." He instructed, showing them how he dived. 

Firetip adjusted his armour, this was going to hurt. He lifted into the air, waiting for Krait to nod. "Okay, ready." He said, Firetip immediately began to dash through the air as fast as he could. He bat his wings roughly, behind him he could hear another set of wings. 

Firetip kept circling, trying to get higher than Krait and farther. Suddenly, when he least expected it, the Seawing grabbed his shoulders and cheered. Firetip squeaked, unable to flap his wings, he braced for the landing as Krait dived.

Firetip reluctantly opened his eyes when the wind stopped rushing past him. Just inches away from the grass, Krait let go of his shoulders. "Hah, I'd never actually hurt you." Krait said, which just made the smaller dragon blink.

"Thank you." Firetip said, watching as Krait trotted next to him in the grass and sat down. "So- why don't you want to talk about the fire? I haven't seen you in since we were 15" Krait asked, shuffling his talons together. He wasn't sure if Firetip was gonna talk. "Well, I don't want the first thing Sugarcane to know about me is my 'traumatic backstory'" Firetip said, laughing nervously.

"Oh. Sorry I brought it up." Krait apologized, but he was still suspicious that Firetip was lying. He's lied to him lots of times, and he always acts a certain way when he does. Is this one of those times? Maybe there is something more to it?

Krait glanced at the other hybrids gathering around Coyote, who was instructing something. "Let's see what they're up to!" Krait nudged Firetip, happily up to them. Firetip forced a smile, but honestly he didn't know what to feel. Krait only reminded him of all the bad parts of his life. How could he ignore him when Krait was his only friend?

-

Later that week, Coyote sent them for their first patrolling practice. There were real guards too, but the hybrids joined in. Firetip spent hours Infront of the mirror adjusting his new armour, he felt so proud. And as he stood infront of the kingdom borders, he felt prouder. 

"Shoulders back, head high, and do not move your facial expression." Coyote growled, glaring at Tadpole, the mudwing-rainwing hybrid. And of course, the most trusted out of the guards because his mudwing scales were visible.

Tadpole tried his best not to shrink as Coyote stared into his soul. "Grandfather." Sugarcane growled. "Do not pick favorites." She whispered as the began walking to the front. "Anyways, guards. We will be back in 2 hours. Look out for any movement. Toad, Shale, Russet, patroll the tall grasses and meet back here once the time is up." Sugarcane said confidently to the dragons.

Firetip sighed in relief as they left, he felt so tense around them. Being a guard was not easy. They were so strict. 

As he stared at the grass Infront of them, it rusled in the cold breeze. It was turning fall, they would need to start hunting season soon. 

The clouds could explain the amount of wind, based on how heavy and dark they looked. They seemed to cover up the big, blue sky.

"Firetip." A dragon whispered. Firetip glanced to his side, where Leopard seemed to be talking to him but without moving his position. "I'm not just seeing things, right?" They ask, gesturing to farther down the sky, a figure moving within the clouds. Firetip squinted, in shock.

A/N: That is a pic of Leopard! They're a icewing-rainwing hybrid (: art by me

A/N: That is a pic of Leopard! They're a icewing-rainwing hybrid (: art by me. 960 words

 960 words