Chapter Two Robin: Richard Grayson

...

"Come on, Honey. Let's see how you look." His mother encouraged with an enthusiastic smile, her eyes filled with maternal pride. She had spent countless hours meticulously crafting the vibrant, circus-themed costume, her love for her son evident in every stitch and sequin.

Richard hesitated behind the curtain, feeling a wave of self-consciousness wash over him. "I feel like a loser." He responded, his voice tinged with insecurity.

"Now, Dick, your mother put a lot of work into the new costumes." His father reminded him gently, his voice carrying the wisdom of experience. "Come on now, let's see."

Reluctantly, Richard sighed and pulled back the curtain, fully revealing himself in the costume that was a riot of traffic light colors and patterns. "Is there a reason why it has to be so... colorful?" He asked, his reluctance to embrace the costume apparent.

His mother smiled warmly as she knelt down to his level. "Because when I see you up there, Honey, you remind me of a little robin." She told him, her fingers gently caressing the side of his face. "Robins are bright and cheerful, just like you when you perform."

Richard furrowed his brow in confusion. "A robin? Like the bird?" He questioned, still unsure about the connection.

As they prepared for their act, they heard Mr. Haly, the ringmaster, announcing the beginning of the show. "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, children of all ages! Welcome to the Grandest show on Earth, Haly's International Traveling Circus!"

"Come on, that's our cue." His father urged.

"Before we begin, let's give a round of applause for the benefactor of tonight's action-packed pageantry, Mister Bruce Wayne!" Mr. Haly announced, his voice booming through the circus tent.

The crowd erupted in cheers, and a spotlight illuminated the ever-stoic Bruce Wayne, who acknowledged the audience with a gracious wave and a smile.

"And now, without further ado, the act you all have been waiting for!" Mr. Haly continued. "Ladies and Gentlemen, direct your attention high above the center ring for a dazzling display of aerial artistry done by the one... the only... The Fearless Flying Graysons!" The spotlight shifted to Richard and his parents, who stood proudly on the high platform above the center ring. "As always, performing their daring feats without the safety of a net!"

Richard stood there, his eyes wide with wonder and admiration as his father made his daring leap off the elevated platform. Time seemed to suspend as he watched his father gracefully take flight, suspended in mid-air by nothing more than a slender rope. It was a breathtaking display of agility and grace, each twist and turn executed with the precision of a master. His father's body seemed to defy gravity as he effortlessly swung from one end of the trapeze to the other, a living embodiment of the circus's magic.

But the spectacle was far from over as, his mother leaped off the platform with a boundless energy and enthusiasm. She was the essence of grace, her form twisting and turning as she performed astonishing tumbles and somersaults high above the expectant crowd. Her movements were a testament to years of dedicated practice, a ballet in the air that left the audience in awe.

Then, as if guided by an unspoken bond forged over countless performances, she reached her peak and arched her body backward. In that heart-stopping moment, Richard watched as his father's hands, strong and steady, reached out to catch her securely mid-air. The two of them became one, a harmonious blend of strength and grace, and the crowd erupted into applause, recognizing the magic of their connection. It was a breathtaking display of trust and unity that left an indelible mark on everyone fortunate enough to witness it.