11- A Realization

Neteyams POV

As we reach the water's edge Aonung clicks his tongue rythmicaly, summoning his newly tamed skimwing near instantly.

"She's huge." My eyes widen, she seemed smaller from my spot outside of the pit.

"Her teeth are too." Nung groans, the thought of her bite causing me to wince.

"Are we going on a ride? Do you intend to scare me how I scared you on my ikran as pay back for me messing up your party?" I ask.

"Well, we are going on a ride, but I didn't think it would scare you; although, it would be fun to see you scream." Nung smirks.

"I can assure you your the screamer between the two of us." I tease back.

"We'll see about that." Nung responds, walking into the water and pulling himself into the large creature. "What are you waiting for?"

"I'm coming." I set off into the water myself, my legs still shaking from my previous drinks.

"Don't fall, I wouldn't want you to drown on my watch, my father would kill me." He laughs.

"So you're saying you wouldn't come to my rescue? Besides, Tsireya would kill you first." I smile.

"What am I? Some kind of knight in shining armour?" He teases.

"I mean, you've already run to my aid once tonight."

"I guess you're right." He reaches his arm out to me as I arrive by his side. I take his hand in my own, the coolness of his skin soothing the burning temperature of my own, and he pulls me up to sit behind him.
"This will be my third ride tonight." I groan, the alcohol combined with motion sickness is going to be lovely to deal with.

"That second one doesn't count." Nung replies, little emotion delivered through his words.

...

"What are you thinking, Nung?" I break the silence a few minutes into the swim.

"I'm thinking that it's fucking cold out here." He laughs, but it's not his usual laugh, it's breathy and harsh.

"I'm not cold." I think of the cold winter nights back in the forest, the ones that would make Lo'ak and Tuk come to my hammock to share our limited heat. The ones that would make my mother hold my father just a little but closer.

"I wish I was you then." He lets out another forced laugh.

"Mhm" I hum back, wrapping my arms a little tighter around his waist, snaking my warm hands up to his chest, and pressing my body against his back tightly. I think I deserve a break from being the perfect son.

"Holy fuck you're warm." Ao'nung whispers bewildered.

"And you're cold." I press my palms flat against his chest, feeling his subtle pulse quicken through his shivering skin. He's right, I can feel the chill radiating from his body, but it's soothing in a way, like a cool breeze on a summer day. Without anymore words to say, I nestle the side of my face into the back of his neck, the hairs dangling from his bun cushioning my head. Slowly, I feel his pulse return to normal, skin softening as his goosbumps retract where my heat soothes him.

...

"We're here." I'm awoken from my daze.

"How long did it take to get here?" I wipe the heaviness from my eyes.

"Maybe half an hour. My skimwing is pretty quick." He looks back at me with a proud grin.

"We must be pretty far then." I lean away from him, stretching my arms high above my head and yawning.