12- Conflicting feelings

Ao'nungs POV

"We've really gotta go." I groan, the bright rays of light nearly flooding the cavern.

"What?" Neteyam groggily responds: I must've woken him up.

"It's almost mid day, the others will start to wonder where we went." I pout at the boy wiping his eyes.

"You're right... How long have we been asleep?" He mumbles.

"You've been asleep for a few hours, I've been awake though."

"And you didn't think to wake me? I thought you were the one who wanted to sleep in." Teyam berates me.

"Maybe stop whining and we can get back." I whine in a mimicking voice, crossing my hands over my chest.

"I'm going to pretend you didn't say that." He squints, glaring daggers into me. His piercing eyes can be scary, the golden hues causing my heart to climb high into my throat.

"Yes sir." I salute playfully, Neteyam's only response being to sigh and roll his eyes at me.

"Call your fish." Neteyam speaks while gesturing his hands.

"She's not a fish." I exaggeratedly pout, clicking to call her as I do so.

"You're both fish." He side eyes me as he walks to the waters edge where my skimwing lies.

"Okay tree hugger." I groan, feeling the heat of the sun bathe my skin as I leave the shade to follow him. I mount the creature and extend my hand to Teyam, helping him to sit behind me.

"Everyone is going to notice we were gone." The warm skin boy complains behind me.

"Trust me, no one will even be awake yet." I chuckle.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean everyone is going to be passed out or whining in bed begging for fruit juice and soup."

"Oh..." He looks consentrated, devoted to thought, "I still don't understand."

"Everyone is hungover Neteyam. Like you are, after drinking you know?"

"That does explain the headache."

"You really didn't know that?" I question, it's not like they don't have alcohol in the forest.

"I did... I guess it just slipped my mind. Back at home most Na'vi just smoke not drink." He responds.

"Oh, have you ever smoked?" I make conversation as I ease my skimwing into motion.

"A little once, but I'm not a fan." I glance over my shoulder to see him scrunch his nose.

"Goody two shoes." I tease, looking forward again and picking up the pace.

"Slowly." Neteyam breathes into my ear, the hairs standing up on my neck.

"What?" I fight to get out, eyes wide, suddenly hyper-aware of how tight his arms are wrapped around me.

"My head is throbbing, please... Go slowly." I feel him bury his head into the crook of my neck.

"Anything you say... Princess."

...

When we arrive back to the village we go our seperate ways, a smile and wave being the limit of our communication. Neteyams eyes are tired, but seem happy, so I decide it's best to let him just go home and rest. As I expected, everyone at home is hung over or still asleep in their homes, only a few odd faces greeting me as I walk along the netted paths. With nothing better to do, I direct myself towards my home pod in hopes to find my harpoon and go on a solo fishing trip: bringing back a good hunt the day after I tamed my skimwing should better my reputation as a provider.