16- Answer

TRACK 16

The world I love, the trains I hop

To be part of the wave, can't stop

Come and tell me when it's time to

Wait a minute, I'm passing out, win or lose

Just like you

(Can't Stop- Red Hot Chili Peppers)

********

The Vampires were a bit too many for Jim's taste.

Even though the guards were keeping them at a distance, persuading some to turn on their heels and thus lessen the crowd, there were many of them still. And there were even apparent children in the crowd who were eight years old or younger -who in reality were probably much, much older than that. Maybe even older than Jim himself... and it was more than possible that they saw him as a child, no less- that they were leaning out to get a better look at them, always wearing makeup and always dressed far too elegantly.

It was strange. It was disturbing, though Jim could not understand why he perceived it in such a way. Maybe it was always because he didn't see the Vampires in a good light, but, no, as a motivation it didn't convince him at all. It was almost an excuse in the face of perceiving his stomach fold in crossing -even just casually- large, seemingly innocent and tender, but all too intelligent eyes of infants. And yes, children could be intelligent even if they were small, but in this case... it was different.

It was as if they had knowledge and wisdom, control over themselves, over their movements, that they should not have possessed if they were normal children.

'But they are not. They are not normal at all. They don't have to play, eat, sleep, or go to elementary school.'

Jim, more to avoid de-concentrating -or focusing too much on one part of the 'stage'- shook his head slightly, returning first to the gazes, then to their hands, to the position of their bodies, to the expressions to which he gave glances before moving immediately to avoid staring, then to Toby and finally to listening.

Listening to the inside of the building where Douxie, Archie, and Steve had disappeared into.

It was not that far from him. He had tried to stay in the direction of the threshold, even suffering the cold and vaguely annoyed looks from the Guard who had blocked them before. But even trying to increase his proximity to the inside of the building, absolutely nothing could be heard.

"I don't know if I'm telling you something you're already aware of, but... magical creatures tend, for the most part, to live among themselves in large groups for a reason," Douxie said. "It's not just because it's easier to survive. No, I can assure you it's not just because of that. The Loners hide better than the Covens. They don't have to protect anyone but themselves and are not bound to stay in one place or with their group. Running away alone is easier than running away in thirty or more, right?"

Jim had barely nodded, his eyebrow arched in slight confusion at the speech. He hadn't been able to figure out where the Wizard was going with this and what exactly his role in the whole situation was attached to it.

"The main reason is that magic tends to connect with other magic. Whether it's through simple relationships, forced proximity, contracts, tattoos, etcetera etcetera," he had waved his hands a little. "And sometimes it can expand an individual's abilities, even if the said individual does not realize it. Or has problems distinguishing it with the normal sensations and emotions. It becomes more apparent in times of high tension, however."

"Unity is strength?" Jim had asked, not even being that surprised.

"Unity is strength." Repeated Douxie with a nod. Then he had pointed to the two Trolls and Claire. "Ever felt strange or exhausted during a situation, only to get up again as if you weren't that much tired anymore for a few moments, just because of the presence of one of them?..."