26- Push

TRACK 26

I'm the next act

Waiting in the wings

I'm an animal

Trapped in your hot car

I am all the days

That you choose to ignore

(All I Need- Radiohead)

********

"Are you serious?" Asked Alice, appearing extremely confused, her gaze going over and over between the three of them. She could not focus on the face of any of them without sensing dizziness. Her injured foot was still throbbing and bleeding, but it was outside the shoe. Much less she could see Owl in the same way, not after seeing him almost flying in her face.

"Extremely serious, my dear," Minerva quipped, smiling in her direction. All the while Miss. Emerald grabbed the bottle with the green substance and then poured some on her fingers, getting down on her knees in front of the girl, then grabbing her ankle as gently as possible.

A small groan escaped her lips the moment her teacher started to spread the mixture where the wound was.

'Agh! It burns, it burns, it burns!' She went to close her eyelids -feeling her eyes water- and to clench her fists, trying to breathe normally.

Alice could not seriously understand what it was. It had no recognizable smell. And that green could have been who knows how many healing herbs. She couldn't define it, but it hurt like hell. Not as much as a piece of ice piercing her bone, but it wasn't going that far either.

"We are desolated for the aggressive method that was used," Minerva then added, still sitting and still smiling, although she let a sigh escape. "Helena just can't control herself, unfortunately."

The appointed Witch rolled her eyes, legs crossed and arms pretty much the same. "I had to be as convincing as possible, didn't I? Appearing as a real danger was necessary to see how far she would go. There are no half-ways in this sort of thing."

"You could have avoided piercing her bone, though," observed the former, barely shaking her head in disapproval. And Alice agreed with her whole mind, soul, and body regarding that opinion, because, for goodness sake, a low blow like that could have been avoided.

She had been terrified to death before, too, after all! The foot injury had added almost nothing to the mixture of terror and need to escape other than the fact that she had had to limp to do so! It was more the wall of ice attached to the door that had partly taken away her hope, not such an injury!

'I really could have done without it... I definitely can't leave this place by tonight anymore. Not reduced to such a state. Maybe not even in a week. Flipping hell.' She thought in frustration but bit the inside of her cheek to keep silent.

She stayed silent both to avoid irritating her -she could live so much better without even that, really- but also because, despite everything, she couldn't help thinking about it: Miss. Emerald's past teacher had been an amazing actress.

Alice had believed it. If she had been her past self -the one that had been five years old, with one of the first guns in her hands to learn to shoot, all because her parents wanted her to. That her, yeah- she might even have pissed in her pants. A fact that was embarrassing to think about, but still true.

"She is a Witch." Retorted Helena piquantly, almost offended, but fortunately not in Alice's direction.

Her irritation rose slightly, however. Helena was acting as if she was the one with a hole in her foot. As if she wasn't the one who had hurt her in the beginning and so they were blaming her for no reason.