CHAPTER 3

In the still night, I could hear the screeching sound of the sirens. The presence of the authorities was very visible. Hayden and I exchanged looks before he said, "I'll talk." I nodded in agreement with what he said. It's best if I don't.

I was a little damp from the rains. Though I'm really glad it stopped raining.

As they covered the site in yellow, the authorities were asking Hayden about it. As I turned to face him from the warning tape signs, I saw them placing the two corpses in the body bags, shoving it rather. Hayden surprised me by turning around and motioning for me to sit back in his car. I complied with whatever he asked of me.

He gave me the keys to his car so I could go sit in it. As soon as I sat in his car, I made the decision to switch on the radio to see whether any news had been made public about this. Actually, I stumbled into a station that was playing Dean Martin's Sway, one of my favourite songs.

This song, which usually makes me feel better, failed to today. I could see him coming my way with his alluring figure. I asked him if everything was okay as soon as he got into the car, and he responded, "Yeah Veronica everything has been taken care of and I also asked the officers to take your car back. It should be available for pickup tomorrow, I hope that's okay?" to which, as usual, I concurred.

I said "I'm glad I found you here, I don't know what would've happened if you weren't here today, so thank you so much" to break the dead silence. All of those words came directly from my heart. I can't thank him enough for saving my life, because he went above and beyond for it.

"Veronica , you don't have to thank me. Im a wonderful friend i know" Hayden retorted while chuckling a little to decompress the seriousness. Now that he has acknowledged my tiny highlight of gratitude, I feel a little better. In the end, he deserved it.

But once more, I made an effort to pass the time by talking to him. Nothing appeared to be able to move. For some reason, I felt like I was blending into the background as I was sulking.I had a ton of things running through my head, and I was incredibly restless. After seeing something so gruesome, I found it difficult to think about anything else.

Hayden turned to face me and questioned "Veronica what were you doing there .. near the lake ?"