Prologue: Trust Me

The waves of the ocean had an unnatural stillness to them in the midnight hour. I navigated the Jolly Roger to the shadows of Pan's dumping ground, Skull Rock. Rumor has it that a Lost Boy becomes a dead man today.

My crew was too late as the blood-freezing scream came from the cliff that overlooks the ocean cave. The screams grew louder as the body of the unknown smacked the still water. The movement of the nearby gators left my crew unmatched as they devoured the unknown man. Another Lost Boy was officially lost today. 

Happy 18 birthday, young man.

"Captain?" My first mate called me.

The crew was awaiting my orders after a failed mission. We were unable to get to the dumping grounds before Pan sacrificed another young man on his personal mission to stay forever young.

"Exit the dumping grounds. I will be with the survivors." I ordered and informed them.

I returned to the lower cabin and entered the captain's quarters. When I entered I saw the two young men we saved earlier this month. One of them wore the skin of a bear, he still wore distrust in his eyes when he looked upon me. The other young man changed into the proper pirate attire provided to him. Though his features showed one of an ordinary man, he wore a peg where his left leg should be.

"Hook." The bear boy snarled.

"Pan tossed you off a cliff, yet you still curse my name." I chuckled.

I took out three glasses and a bottle of gin. As I poured the glasses I prepared to break the news to these two young men. I was unable to rescue their comrade.

"How is that peg-leg, Mr. Smee made?" I asked.

I handed out the glasses to the two young men. They both tried to hide the sadness behind their eyes. Neither of them ever imagined that they would receive hospitality from the man named Hook.

"We were unable to prevent Pan from slaying your friend." I broke the news. There is no need to break it easily to them. A man was murdered today. His only crime was becoming a man.

"I'm sorry sir," Pegleg spoke.

I waved off the apology as I drank. I am unable to dwell on lost lives. My mission is simple. Kidnap the kids in an attempt to return them home. To their families, if they have families.

"Why are you helping us?" the bear boy questioned. "You're Captain Hook."

"Boy, the stories you have heard about me were written by the same kid who tried to murder your ass." I snapped.

The frown of the young bear's face fueled me. He was angry. He was tricked into coming to Neverland to be used as a sacrifice. He was lied to for years just like I was.

"The world is like a magical theater where fairytales and realities intertwine," I said in an attempt to make sense of the world these young men were living in now. "Have you boys ever wondered why there are only men on this island, or why the only adults you ever encountered were us adults?"

I could see the bewilderment on their faces. It was as if the thought had never crossed their mind until this moment.

"See, Pan also brought me to Neverland, long before you guys were born. I too believed I was special. I followed Pan blindly until it was my turn to be sacrificed. Would you boys like to hear the story of dear old Captain Hook?"