Ch 1: The Honey Badger

"Honey! Honey!"

I was awoken by the sound of the youngest Lost Boy running into my hut. His bright blue eyes were almost covered by the skunk skin that he wore. The outfit was entirely too big for my eight-year-old friend.

"Honey, Peter is home!"

"I told you my name is Badger, Stinky," I whined as my little friend jumped on my back. I stood up, knocking Stinky on the floor. I ended up lifting him up by the back of his shirt so he could steady himself.

Stinky was one of a handful of Lost Boys that Peter saved. Peter usually finds us wandering around alone and cold. He then flies us to Neverland so he can take care of us until we are old enough to take care of ourselves in our own world.

A selfless hero.

Our Lost Boys' names are usually given to us based on the animal we wear. Some of us go out and kill the animal ourselves while others are given the name and outfit. Stinky got his name after I killed the skunk that sprayed his hut. He stayed in my hut for a while until his hut became livable.

I wear the skin of a Honey Badger. While everyone calls me Badger, Peter is the only one who gets away with calling me Honey. Well, Peter and sometimes Stinky.

Peter just got back from returning one of the Lost Boys home. The next Lost Boy scheduled to return home is me in a few days. Peter likes to get us home by our 18th birthday, the average where the world sees us as an adult.

Though his height is on the shorter side, Peter could be seen walking through the crowd of Lost Boys with his red hair. Wearing his signature lime green outfit he was the only one in Neverland that did not age. 

"The mission was a success, you guys. Yet another Lost Boy returned to the Land of Parents." Peter cheered.

The Land of Parents, I wonder how amazing it really was. All of us Lost Boys were rescued from the Land of Parents. We were the souls without parents. We were either orphans or suffering from unjust abuse. The Land of Parents doesn't seem amazing to me, but Peter always warned us that we could not stay in Neverland forever. We would have to return and become parents ourselves. It was terrifying.

"Hey Honey," Peter greeted me as he gave me a hug. He then patted Stinky on the head, "Stinkers."

"How was the flight home?" I asked.

"Amazing. I feel better than ever." Peter said as he walked into the camp greeting the other Lost Boys.

Per usual, a celebration was in order for Peter's safe return home. That means we older Lost Boys were going hunting for tonight's feast. I can hear what Peter is requesting for dinner as he excites the younger lads. He wants ham. So, I guess I am hunting for boar tonight.

As Peter told his story about his flight I snuck back into my hut to prepare for my departure. My prize possession was this machete which I have slayed many animals with. It is the only thing that I remember from the Land of Parents. I am unsure how it will withstand a boar in its current shape.

With a sharp rock, I grinded the edge of the blade. The light sparks were a decent signal that the blade was beginning to sharpen.

It's no secret that I am the strongest, and smartest upon the Lost Boys. I have been their main food supplier for years. What are they going to do without me?

"Hey Honey, can I come in?" I heard Peter yell as he entered my hut. "Are you going out tonight?"

"We need dinner. Who else is going to get it?"

"I was going to send Wolfie, Clever, and Hawk."

"And who is going to make the kill?"

"They can figure it out," Peter said as he sat with his legs crossed and floating in the air. "They need to because you are leaving us soon."

Hearing Peter say that hurt a little more than it should. I know Neverland was not designed for adults, but that doesn't mean I don't want to stay. I never asked to grow up.

"Hey Peter, why can't I live here as an adult?"

"The adults that stay here always die. Something to do with the oxygen levels." I guess that checks out. I don't know science that well.

I felt Peter's eyes trained on me while I continued to sharpen my machete. I don't mind that he is staring at me, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. I just wish I could stay here and keep feeding him and the other Lost Boys.

Once I finished sharpening the machete I stood up to leave. Peter was basically lying on his back while lying in the air.

"I'm off," I announced.

"They have to learn, Honey. You aren't going to be here forever." Peter warned.

"Just let me enjoy it while I can." I waved leaving Peter alone in my hut.

Just a little while longer.