Ch 4: Midnight Hours

Pan's words stunned me. What does he mean, he kills them?

"And do you want to hear something cool about your precious Skull Rock?" Pan asked as he charged toward me with another attack. "It is my fountain of youth."

I couldn't make sense of what Pan was saying. I never heard of a fountain of youth in Neverland.

With each clash of our blades, I only became more confused. Pan yelled about how the fountain of youth was fueled by the blood of the Lost Boys. He tells the other Lost Boys that he is returning the new adult to the Land of Parents when in reality, he is killing them.

And no one ever knew.

I let my anger take over as I went on the offense. Pan taunted me as he flew around my head. My rage controlled my movements as I jumped up to strike Pan.

The smirk that formed on Pan's face let me know that I messed up. Pan was able to fly past my attack and slammed his dagger on my left wrist. I underestimated how sharp Pan's dagger was, and I lost my hand for it.

Where my hand once was left an uncontrollable burning sensation. I involuntarily dropped my machete in an attempt to stop the fountain of blood that was once my arm.

Pan managed to grab a hold of me in my state of panic and take flight.

"You can't go back like this." Pan laughed as we flew out of the woods.

My heart began to race as we flew closer to Skull Rock. Memories of my past began to haunt me. Randomly waking up in Neverland. Saying goodbye to older friends with the hopes of one day seeing them again. Becoming the oldest Lost Boy and taking care of them all.

I was going to see them again. Just in death.

Flying into the eyes of the skull-shaped mountain I saw gator-infested waters. In the center of the cave was a body of water protected by rocks. Pan threw my left hand down into the protected body of water. The water briefly glowed a golden color.

Pan's facial features turned back to his original human state

"Sorry, Honey." Peter said.

Those were the last words I heard before Pan let me go. I fell from what felt like the height of the mountain. I watched in horror as the gators began to swim where I was going to land.

As I fell I spotted the adult hiding behind a rock watching me. We locked eyes for a brief moment. Once again he motioned for me to follow him.

The impact from the water knocked what little air out of my chest. The dark waters lit up gold, as a surge of electricity went through my body. Water quickly filled my lungs as I tried to scream for help underwater. Using the last of my energy I tried to swim to the surface. The light finally faded as I reached for the surface.

My cry for help was met by a firm hand. I did all I could not to pass out as I was pulled to shore by the adult.

My first taste of oxygen caused me to vomit all of the water I inhaled. I forced myself up to my knees as my body was trying to recover from all of the torture it just withstood. Lost limbs, plummeting to what I thought was my death, being electrocuted, drowning, and being forced to talk to an adult.

"I'm surprised you lived through all that," The adult said as he rummaged through a nearby, beat-up tent. "Also, sorry about earlier. If I didn't miss my shot on Peter Pan you would still have your hand."

"Wait what?" I asked weakly.

The adult grabbed my left arm. Where my left hand once was, was now a sealed nub. It was completely healed over.

"Neverland works in mysterious ways." The adult said as he slid a leather cover over it. In the center of the cover was a metal hook. "It won't replace your hand, but it will remind me later to find something better for you."

"This will be fine. Thank you."

The adult was more cheerful than I imagined. He cooked me gator, which was a little tougher than I thought.

He told me how he was once a Lost Boy and went by the name Gator. He was exiled when he discovered Mermaid Lagoon and they told him the truth about Pan. He used gators to fake his own death but he was afraid to stop Pan.

"I'm not afraid to stop Pan, Mr.?"

"Smee."

"Mr. Smee." I nodded. "With all due respect once I get better I will go back for my machete and kill Pan myself."

"Aye aye, Captain."

I laughed. "I'm no Captain."

"Then what should I call you?"

What should he call me? James is a dead name and I am no longer a honey badger. I have no one to lead so I'm no captain. What will I go by?

I stared at my newly made hook hand before smiling at Mr. Smee.