○×48: bitter truths & broken trusts○×

<In contradiction and paradox, you can find the truth>

|Kian|

*PLAY THE MUSIC ABOVE ON REPEAT AS YOU READ! Suits the chapter perfectly!*

"PUT  THE gun down first, Kian," Rina coaxed as she creeped close, her hands upright in submission, trying to convince me.

"Goddamnit, why are you here Rina?!" I roared, furious, the gun still pointed at Kincade's frozen form.

"I'll tell you if you can put the gun down. Please." Her voice was soft, a plea expressed on her face, boots scraping across the floor quietly like she was damn aware that any wrong move could set me off.

My anger skyrocketed to the roof, a raging surge that had me yelling, "Are you crazy?! This guy killed my mother, stabbed her twice in the stomach. And seven years old me was there. Kneeling down, begging my mother to come back. But no! She couldn't because she was dead. You hear me?! She was fucking dead and murdered in cold blood! And you know what?!"

Sweat dotted my brows as I nodded at Kincade, the gun in my palm trembling in fury. "That black motherfucker laughed. He fucking laughed at us!"

Silent, Kincade stared at me, face haunted, his hands still up. He knew that one word, one single word, from him would get him a one-way ticket into hell, within the twinkle of an eye.

"I can still hear it, Rina. It's like a fucking bell that tolls ceaselessly in my head. He laughed while I laid on the floor crying for her to come back. That bastard laughed as he took the person who was my everything and left me with nothing. I couldn't sleep for years without waking up screaming. Dad became distant and cold and I had no one else apart from Jared and you. He made me a monster. . ." My voice cracked, scalding tears burning the back of my eyes but I refused to let them fall. No. Not in front of my mother's killer or anyone. Crying would make me weak and I needed to be strong right now.

"I know, Kian." Rina inched closer, imploring eyes, misty. "I know."

Swallowing the lump in my throat down, I glared darkly at her. "So why the fuck are you telling me to drop the gun down?! That bastard isn't innocent! He's guilty of every wrong decision I have ever taken in my life. Because of him, I have to divorce his daughter, the woman who made me believe in love again."

Simultaneous gasps of disbelief escaped from Rina and Kincade.

"You married again?!" She'd paused, her brows arched in shock.

"My daughter? You married her?!" Kincade's thunderstruck voice reached me.

Sliding my infuriated gaze away from Rina's crouched form, I pinned it onto Kincade, ignoring their questions. It was time to act.

With a deft twist of my fingers, I pointed the gun at his forehead, subjecting him to a venomous look. My tone was grave, melancholic as I spat, "The minute you escaped from your prison, you entered inside mine. You don't deserve freedom and you never will, because I'm avenging my mother's death right fucking now!"

Instead of retreating back, Kincade stood, as immovable as a statue. His facial features were shuttered, a stark contrast against the orange background of his uniform. "I'm already resigned to my fate so do what you will, son."

That fucking word, son.

Narrowing my eyes, I cocked the trigger, gritting out forcefully, "I. Am. Not. Your. Son."

"No, I won't let you kill him." From the corner of my eyes, I spied Rina's beanie shaking, a defiant move. Quick, she brushed past me to stand between Kincade and I.