>> twelve

Cassie with shaky hands holds me and pulls me up from my sitting position by the tree. As she begins to lead me through the crowd it slowly awakens.

"The daughter! You're her!"

"No wonder you beat, Hank."

Even big, tough Hank looked as shallow as the grass as he bowed slightly when we walked by. I stare at everything in confusion and it seems like it hasn't yet settled in.

Cassandra forces me to sit down on the sofa by pressing softly on my shoulders and she steps away from me, just in time for her phone to start ringing again. I listen up on her call again, although perhaps I should give her privacy. But due to the moment, I just have the feeling that it's about me.

"Greyson..." Cassandra looks at me and mouths 'talk'. I take it as he wants to talk to me and I shake my head slowly, before more confidently and rapidly shaking it. I don't want to talk to anyone except for Cassandra. What makes her sure I'm the daughter? "She doesn't want to talk to you... Greyson, shut up, it's not about you. She's confused and I'm sure she has some questions. The quicker you get here, the better... I know you are... I know you do. Greyson, just get here... She needs you too, you know?... Six hours? That's good. I'll keep her in the cottage until then... No, I don't know when it will start... Yes, I'm looking at it right now... I'll send you a picture." Some things went lost to me, but some I caught onto.

She walks over to me and with a gentle finger beneath my chin, she makes me raise my head higher. I hear her snap a photo and then she's gone, standing by the window again already and holding the phone to her ear. She's making another call. I, however, get intrigued by whatever she has snapped up and I rise from my seat, quietly going in the direction of Greyson's room. I reach it in no time and walk in through the open door. I look around, but notice nothing abnormal from the odd night I slipped out.

I keep my eyes on the ground when I walk towards the mirror by the wall. Do I want to see? What if it's some huge red mark cross my neck or something? I don't want to cover it up all the time, so what is the mark? Curiosity killed the feline and the brave wolf raised her head. But I was thrown back even more. Slightly glowing beneath my skin was a big, tattoo-like mark. It was white, as if inked that way, and it made my skin glow oddly. I almost looked god-like. What was the oddest though, was the fact that it surrounded my entire neck like a scarf. I am not anymore the only one doubting my sanity, but so is my wolf and that really is something. She's the one with nerves of steel in bad situations.

Yes, I'd call this a bad situation, even out loud if it wasn't for the Luna standing in the doorway and absolutely glowing with excitement. She's excited? My whole life has been just taken away by who supposedly is my mother.

"Usually it's small. Goes either diagonally or straight up by the side of her neck, at least that was how it was for your sisters-"

"Don't call them that," I say in surprise, before I can stop myself. "I didn't even know them, it sounds so weird," I add a bit later as an explanation and then turn my gaze back on my own reflection. The creepy glow of my skin is dimming, yet the marks that make the over-all mark of the Goddess' daughter are still lit up like dying embers. It actually even looks sort of pretty.

"I know you must have questions, but Greyson and Declan both think they should be here too before you start shooting. More than Declan, this was Greyson's wish," Cassie speaks and I turn around to face her. I don't know when the real shock of this falls in, but right now I feel sort of angry and also sort of like someone told me I got a good grade. Nothing too big, but somehow it feels like I always hoped for it.

"So, what's going to happen for now?" I ask and walk over to the bed to sit on the edge of it.

"Well, first I'm going to ask you to stay here and not leave while I go and calm down my pack. The entire alliance that we have going on is buzzing already and no doubt more packs will know soon enough. It will get more and more dangerous for you, so I'm locking you inside."