>> fourteen

When the time came to go to sleep, I was anxious. Goddess, I was so anxious because of what Greyson said. I'd be meeting her, my mother, in a dream. And, as if I still need any more confirmation about it, I am expecting that seeing her will bring me some peace of mind and seal my doubts.

But the first thing I do when I wake up, is think 'have I done it again?'. Because I am standing in the middle of the forest, another unfamiliar place and I look around myself but see nothing. The forest has a calming effect for a wolf, but I am a whole bunch of nerves. The last time I woke up like this, I had killed seven people.

"Sweetheart." The voice is an echo in my head and I flinch, looking around myself for the source of the voice. It is calm, feminine and even the voice sounds graceful. "Apologies, you'll get used to that," the voice said again, making me grab my head in pain. But just like she said, the echo towards the end of the sentence begins to subside and my brain doesn't cause such a tantrum over it anymore.

"W-Who-"

"- am I? Sweetheart, you should know. I thought Greyson told you about this, guess he isn't quite as bright as I hoped he was," the woman laughs. I frown, feeling protective over my mate.

"Hey! He's brilliant, you have no right to say that about him," I protect and gaze around myself. There's nothing on the floor of the forest, not even a sign of someone else. So I do the opposite of scanning the ground and lift my eyes up. Sitting on a thick branch is a beautiful woman, glad in a silvery white dress. She grins at me and waves, before floating down from the tree. I have to shake my head to realize if I am still dreaming or not, but when I see a unicorn in the distance, like a heavenly sign that this is a dream, I come to a conclusion. Why am I dreaming of unicorns? They're extinct already.

"G-Goddess?" I stutter. Out of instinct, as if meeting an Alpha, I cross my hands in front of me and bow my head, bending my knees slightly. But I can't avert my eyes and they stay on the woman, who lets out a laugh and then takes my shoulders, pulling me straight and holding me at arm's length.

"You can call me 'mom'," she laughs and then gently strokes my cheek. "You've grown into such a beautiful person. What was the name they gave you? Kate?"

"Katja," I correct, slightly hurt. If she is the all powerful Moon Goddess how come she hasn't had time to check in on me enough to remember my name?

"Of course! Katja... Well, Katja, I'm sure you have a lot of questions," she softly says and begins circling me. I stand still,afraid to disturb what she was doing.

"Well.. Uhm."

She let's out a melodic laugh and I blush scarlet. It's not my fault I've been rendered speechless at a moment like this. How can I possibly help it? You can't just throw me in front of my mother whom I haven't ever seen before, but to who everyone bows down to and expect me to just shoot a truck load of questions at once. I do have them, I know. They're like an itch at the back of my head but I can't pave my way to them.

"Greyson," she suddenly says.

"Greyson?" I ask in confusement and she grins brightly.

"There we go! A question. Of course I'll tell you about him," she cheers. I widen my eyes in surprise as she walks away from me, fingertips pressed together and the long dress trailing after her like a fluffy tail. "When I sent your eldest sister down on earth for the first time, you instantly got curious about a certain boy," she began and winked at me over her shoulder. "You were fascinated by the thought of soul-mates and happily ever afters in a way I had not seen anyone else. Your sisters didn't care for a mate, but you often dreamt of it out loud.

"Greyson was getting to a point where he was losing hope for finding a mate while everyone around him did, so I had to make a decision and fast. Your sisters and you were all born on the same day, just different eras. When your birthday came along, I knew what to get for all of my daughters except for you. And leaving you without a present was out of the question.