Prologue

The world was lit on fire

Katrina Deiderich was hunched over in an armchair in front of the fireplace. She sat there with her head in her hands as her partner yelled at her from a distance. Tears filled the corner of her eyes as she slowly stood up and ushered her three year old son to bed. She turned to her partner.

“Felix! You can’t just start yelling with Izotz in the room!” Katrina yelled exasperated. She’s been over this topic multiple times with him and she simply can’t get him to stop.

“You can’t tell me what to do under my roof! Izotz is my kid as much as he is yours! And I will be able to decide what happens with him as much as you!” He yelled, his words slurred. He smashed a beer bottle he was holding on the floor and glared at his wife.

———————————-(3 months later)

The little boy peeked through his bedroom door. He saw his mother sobbing into her hands. His father had just died in a drunk driving accident, leaving Katrina widowed and a single mother. He slowly crept up behind her.

“Mutter?” He asked. His mother jumped.

“Izotz, not now” She said shakily. The boy tilted his head.

“But Mutter I heard you crying” the boy said concerned

“Güte Izotz! I said not now!” The woman yelled
“Go to your room you little sheibe!”

Izotz teared up and ran to his room. He slammed the door and collapsed on the floor.
—————-(11 years later)
Izotz was walking back to his house after school. His dark hair was messed up and his uniform was dirty. His uniform pants were ripped at the knee and bleeding. He had been bullied again. He was being called names because he was German and because he was so quiet. But today was better than most, once he came home with a broken nose, another time his wrist was fractured. Long story short, he got into a lot of fights.

When Izotz reached his house he shoved the key in an entered. The house smelled of alcohol and had dust resting on the floor. He found his mother knocked out on the couch with a beer bottle in her hand. Izotz was used to this by now. Almost every time he came home his mother was unconscious. His mother had said it would be good relocating to America after his fathers death, but the only thing they did was bring they’re troubles with them.

Izotz sighed as he walked over to his mother. He gently took the bottle out of her hand and tossed it away. He heated up some leftover pizza and went to his room to catch up with his homework and patch up his knee.

A few hours later the sun had started to go down. His mother still hadn’t woken up and Izotz started to get slightly worried. He unplugged his headphones and left his room. As soon as he stepped out a deafening sound was heard from outside, it sounded like, a siren? He went to the window to check, and he immediately saw people running through the streets. Suddenly he heard a voice that rang through the whole neighborhood.

“This is not a drill! The purge has begun”

Fate was definitely holding all the cards in this story.