1

JANUARY 2006

there were two strangers who met at a playground,

a five-year-old girl named Hwang Yeji and a six-year-old girl named Shin Ryujin.

Hwang Yeji had a difficult time interacting with the other kids. when she and her mom arrived at the playground minutes ago, she was just standing still. clearly she was nervous, she's even biting her nails while she looked around the area. her mom told her to play around and she did, but all she did was to explore the playground.

she worried that her being 'weird' might cause her to not have friends, at all. but she was only five, and she'll grow out of it. right?

then, she spotted her mother chatting with another woman, who was holding a kid. she thought she was incredibly cute as a kid with shoulder-length hair. because of that, she walked towards to them.

"eomma.. who are they?" Yeji asked, confused.

"oh sweetie! this woman is my friend. we've been friends for a long time now, since college! the kid beside her is Ryujin. why dont you girls play around while we catch up?" Yeji's mom smiled at her.

she nodded, and her attention shifted on Ryujin. she noticed she was nervous too, and we all know her main goal before leaving the playground was to make at least one buddy. so she swallowed her pride and went to Ryujin.

"hello! don't be shy. let's be friends?" Yeji smiled at her. the other girl was confused yet, surprised.

"you want to be friends with me?" Ryujin asked.

"of course, i haven't even made a single friend here." Yeji laughed nervously at Ryujin who's clearly sad for her.

"me too, so let's be each other's friend?" Ryujin smiled. Yeji, on the other hand, felt glad that she had finally made a friend. she's also relieved that Ryujin was no longer nervous and is starting to get comfy around her.

"okay! let's go explore the playground?" Yeji suggested and the other nodded.

they spent hours and hours playing on the playground. however, it appears that the time has arrived for them to say their goodbyes. they were both sad because they didn't know if they'd see each other again. thankfully their mothers exchanged phone numbers and promised their daughters that both of them would see each other regularly.

-

6 MONTHS LATER

Yeji yelled "Ryuddaeng! Ryuddaeng!" as she ran towards Ryujin.

they've been extremely close for a few months now, and this was their routine. when they see each other, both of them will call out as loudly as they possibly can. and they would play while their mothers chitchat on a bench, keeping an eye out for their girls.

"Yeddeong!" Ryujin waved at Yeji who was running towards her.

Yeji hugged Ryujin and said, "i missed you~ i felt really lonely at my house. and my brother always picks on me." Yeji frowned. Ryujin then chuckled at her.

"your brother, Hyunjin?" she asked,

"duh! who else?" Yeji rolled her eyes, while Ryujin just giggled at her.