11. Because It Just Wasn't Enough Before

The crisp morning air is rather dry today, but it's still somewhat refreshing compared to the warm air inside as Tommy sticks his head out the window.

Everything is dull at this hour, when the sun doesn't shine super bright and it almost looks like somebody took a grey brush with a little bit of opacity and painted over everything because although it's not completely white and black out here, it's a little grey for sure.

He hears the sound of wind somewhere off in the distance but he can't feel it. The air is unmoving where he is, unlike his eyes that rake the whole city, every wrecked building and crashed car, for anything. Well, not just for anything, but for something.

It is silent, just him and his searching eyes. So silent even that he jumps when he hears the slight turning of a doorknob, his previous observations of Wilbur and Quackity still being asleep making him near startled as he spins around.

There, Wilbur looms just barely by the table as Tommy regains himself and focuses on the man before him.

"Hello," He says calmly, eyes glancing past Wilbur's shoulder towards the bedroom door. "I thought you were asleep." He adds a chuckle at the end, but it's not strong or anything close, leaving it to die in the new silence as Wilbur's eyes scan over the kitchen counters and finally return to meet Tommy's blue ones.

"Quackity still is," Wilbur says with a mumble, moving past Tommy to rummage through the shelves as the younger walks back over to the window, hands on the ledge as he glances out one last time.

"So," He stalls for a moment, sparing one quick glance over at Wilbur. "How'd you sleep?"

Wilbur whips his head around, eyes falling to Tommy's hands before he waves a dismissive hand. "Leave the window open, fresh air." With that he closes a cabinet, a can in his hand as he walks over and places it on a counter. Sighing, he looks up at Tommy and shrugs. "And I slept alright."

It's cut short and Tommy is left to simply nod at his words, slowly sinking into a chair to wait at the table as Wilbur grabs three soup bowls that they had conveniently found deep in the storage of these cabinets. Soon, he's prying open canned vegetables and splitting them up in the bowls and shuffling back over to the table.

He slides them onto the wooden surface and flops into his seat. "Get some greens in you, hm?" He hums, looking up at Tommy for a response who blinks down at the variety of vegetables before nodding.

"Oh yeah." He nods, grabbing a bowl. "Finally something other than cereal," He says brightly with a small smile before taking a bite.

Wilbur mimics his actions and the room falls silent as they eat, Tommy only sparing a small "thank you" for Wilbur grabbing the food.

Soon Quackity tumbles into his chair with a yawn, catching both of their attention beforehand with how he opened the door rather loudly, apparently using much more strength than he had intended to.

"Good morning," Wilbur says politely, his lips curling upwards so softly it's almost missed by Tommy until Wilbur is grinning at Quackity with a gradually growing glint in his eyes, almost like a newly lit fire. "This bowl has been waiting for you," he states, presenting the mixed vegetables to Quackity who takes it appreciatively.

"Well my bad, I was tired," Quackity states with a roll of his eyes and Tommy's glance shifts between the two before he blinks back down at his bowl and quietly eats as Quackity's gaze settles on Wilbur who hums with a light chuckle.

"Clearly."

Tommy swallows his food, placing his hands on the table rather loudly it's sudden and grabs both Wilbur's and Quackity's attention as they eye him curiously as he stands up. "Okay, well, I'm gonna go..." Tommy starts but slows as they toss somewhat careless looks at him and he fixes his eyes over to a certain glass jar. "Outside the front door for a bit, hang out with Shroud."