Part One, Chapter Four

After I fell from the tree, the four of us found a hollowed tree nearby that was big enough for all of us to rest in. Alizeh told Solemina to find some branches to start a campfire while we dealt with Naia. Initially, I wanted to talk Alizeh out of scolding Naia, but after seeing how angry Alizeh looked, I didn't dare.

"I'm sorry Victoria, I really am," cried Naia, who was kneeling in front of Alizeh and me. However I knew she wasn't apologizing to me. She is simply acting compliant like she usually does in front of Alizeh.

"We told you not to awaken that wolf, but you did. Can't you listen for once?" scolded Alizeh angrily.

"I'm really sorry! I didn't expect that the wolf would go for Victoria," Naia said.

"How did you manage not to get eaten?" I asked, mystified. Naia must've been really lucky that the wolf didn't go after her, but how?

"The wolf didn't see her. We were all hiding, and she just threw a rock," replied Alizeh. "But that is not the point here. Naia, do you realize how much danger you just put us through? Victoria could've been hurt or, even worse, dead if we didn't get there in time."

It wasn't that bad, I thought. I wasn't that up high in the tree. Even though my head was telling me that I was about to die while I was falling, when I thought about it logically, there was no way I could've died.

"We couldn't just hide forever. Anyways, no one got hurt, so it's fine," Naia debated while standing up. However, she stopped mid-way when Alizeh glared at her. "Solemina dared me," she said meekly.

"I did not," Solemina's voice sounded from outside the tree.

"Yes you did! You asked if I was brave enough to wake up the wolf," Naia retorted.

"Solemina, come here," Alizeh said coldly.

Solemina walked toward us with her head dropped. Alizeh yelled at her, "You have less sense than a newborn baby. You knew that Naia would take everything you say as a challenge, so why did you ask her that?"

The scolding continued, but I didn't join in much. It was very entertaining watching Alizeh scold those two little troublemakers. Solemina and Naia both kneeled in front of Alizeh with their heads drooped. From where I was, I could hear those two complaining under their breath. I sat down with my legs crossed and looked outside the hollowed tree. Gray clouds covered the bright blue sky. Drops of rain started to fall, and the forest floor became muddy as puddles started to form. I closed my eyes to meditate and took a deep breath of the clean air. Before, when I was in the city, the air was polluted and wasn't pleasant to smell. Now, in this big forest where everything was natural, I could finally enjoy the flowery scent in the air.

A voice interrupted my thoughts. "Solemina, did you collect the branches I told you to fetch?" Alizeh asked.

I looked at Solemina and saw Naia and her both standing at the corner of the hollowed tree. Solemina nodded and said, "Yes, I did, but I bet it's all wet by now."

"Go get them. I have a flintstone in my bag. We might be able to start a campfire," Alizeh replied.

Solemina nodded and ran to get the branches. I sighed; Solemina must've been really scared of Alizeh if she just did whatever Alizeh told her to. I walked towards Alizeh and started to help her with the fire. Just like Solemina said, the branches were thoroughly wet, and there seemed like there was no way that we could start a campfire with them. I watched with interest as Alizeh started to strike her flintstone against another stone. After a few tries, Alizeh managed to make a tiny spark. She blew at that spark, my eyes widened in surprise as it grew. However, to our dismay, it didn't work. Instead of litting the sticks on fire, the wet branches put out that tiny flame.