Chapter 6

The gathering was quiet

The gathering was quiet.not a soul seated in the benches dared to utter a word.Everyones eyes were shifting occasionally between Charles who was adressing the crowd and bidding his final goodbye to the princess and the golden coffin placed at the altar ,down the aisle.

"she was my sister.She may not have been by birth but that was who she was to me.We have played, we have fought,we have cried we have laughed together.She have been my constant in this ever changing life.my one support.Just because she is not here anymore , it doesn't mean that she has ceased to exist . She still is among all of us even now.I know each and every one of us are reminiscing about her.I know I am.It was my honor to be her little brother.If you are here Alex, just know that I love you very much and your absense weighs down my heart but you are free Alex.You should be happy wherever you are and remember that wherever you go,no matter how long,you are loved...So much."charles pauses as his voice wavers .His eyes sweep the crowd of people before him their own eyes spilling tears of grief."thank you.", he finishes and with one last look back at her he descend the stairs to take his seat.Soon after the speech with a final prayer the casket was carried out to the royal graveyard for her to be laid beside her father.As he followed the procession charles couldn't help but notice the wilted bouquet of lillies placed at the kings grave and remembers that day.

He followed her through the series of graves heading towards the gated royal burial ground past the guards.It was a peaceful place.A wonderful garden with dazzling varieties of flowers adorning the occasional graves.they head towards the familiar grave beyond the fountain- his uncles."Dad", she called out kneeling beside the grave ."It's finally happening dad! Ive waited so long for this day to come but it seemed as though my desperation made it come slower than it should.But it's here and I have never been more excited.I am tensed too of course, everything would be so different.I think if it were someone else, I would simply die of nerves but I know him.I have known him all my life and I know that he would make me the happiest person in the world.He already does.You have told me that ages ago do you remember?The morning after I fell ill and he stayed by my side the whole night?You told me the next morning that you couldn't imagine anyone more perfect for me.You were right dad..So right. .." , she pauses suddenly and quietly stares at her father's grave before placing the bouquets of Lilies she had brought with her- her father's favorite.Charles settles down beside her and gently pats her shoulders in assurance and she offers him a sad smile before turning back to her father ."I wish you were here dad.I really, really do .You would know how to console me .We could go riding in the woods like we used to .Or have a father daughter day or even have just a politics lesson .I wish you could have been there with me day after tomorrow to walk me down the aisle or for the father daughter waltz.I really do dad", she pauses again her voice wavering with emotions . She quickly recollects herself and wipes away the stranded tears and smiles at charles."Which bring me to my question to you , Charles .Will you walk me down the aisle?", She asks. "Me?Are you sure?", Asks charles in surprise . "Well ..You are my brother and my best friend and the one who knows me so well.I don't see anyone else more apt for it", replies Alex.He swifty hugs her with a laugh and a nod and then breaking the hug he jokes,"Yes.But don't blame me if you fall" and dodges a punch from her. They get up from the ground laughing heartily and she bids farewell."Bye dad.I would come back with Ed day after tomorrow.I love you.." , she says and they head back out onto their waiting carriage.

Charles lost in memories quick snap back into reality as final prayers are uttered and watch as the golden coffin is slowly lowered into the ground .He sees Louis standing a bit farther away with Charlotte who held his hands tightly in support .Duchess Margaret remains at the head of the grave and watch as her only family too is buried.Duchess Dorsetta stands beside her helpless,not knowing how to console her.A bit away from him with the remaining crowd his eyes meet his mother's concerned eyes looking at him for she knew that he needed support,now more than ever .His little sister too stood in her father's hold barely old enough to understand why Her cousin was not waking up .He sees Johnathan wiping away a few tears standing amidst the crowd and he sees a few other maids follow suit.He then see Granite standing alone quitley greiving the loss of a bestfriend.His eyes continue to wander and sees king Hans step up to the grave and gently lead Margaret who was onthe verge of losing consciousness back into the church ,the crowd parting to give way. Through the parted crowd he sees edward sitting on the church stairs staring at it all from afar and his torn heart aches for his bestfriend knowing exactly well how it feels to have one's love cruelly ripped away from them .
.....

The funeral service were almost over.Only a few Lords and close relatives remained within the church hall .Louis was conversing to lord Henson - an old acquaintance of his father when lord Byron- Charle's father approached him."Did you see Lucy, son?",he asks in a hurry."Yes.She was with duchess Ella.She was hungry.I believe the duchess took her to the kitchen.",Louis informs."Thank lord! I have been restless all day.with all that's happened,how can one trust the people here anymore." , Exclaims Lord Byron."You know about it all then " louis quietly acknowledge."Yes .I am family after all.Don't worry .I have sworn to not tell a soul outside about any of it."informs Lord Byron. "Of course,I know that your grace.When were you informed about it .",asks Louis."that very night actually.Ella was writing to me as she usually does when she heard the scream and had to leave .the rest seemed to be hurriedly added after....I was really shocked .I knew her well too as you know.And to think the one who did it is still among us"The Lord shudders in disgust . "I know your grace, I feel the very same.You are coming back with us to the castle i presume", asks Louis. " No Louis .I can't have Lucy be in that place anymore .We are heading straight back to Earlington ."replies the duke.

Meanwhile,Outside the church the crowd had disappeared at the grave.but two people remained there gazing at the grave together. "Was this necessary?They could turn suspicious of us if they see us here " asks one in a hush. "It is. We haven't talked since. ... " the other person pauses and then continues. I wanted to know...She is gone now.the only obstacle we faced.Did you do it?",they asks . Before the other could reply however they see a worker head towards the grave not noticing them yet and they quickly part ways and rush back into the church seperatlely and then merge with the crowd .