The Gentleman

How the hell did I end up here? You sigh dropping your scrubbing brush and sitting on the steps, this was not at all what you had envisioned. Let me take you back a few months to where our story begins.

The bar is overcrowded and the noise is overwhelming, you serve as quickly as you can with the other bartenders it's so hot. The heat and the smell of the cigar smoke make you sick, you look like you're going to faint. 'Yn.' Kat puts her hand on your arm and you jump having totally tuned out. 'Go out, get some fresh air.' You look around the overcrowded bar. 'We are slammed I can't.' Kat keeps her grip on you. 'Air, now.' she orders and you give in going outside to take in some of the cool night air. 'Oi, oi, are you on the menu love? Come with us we are going to a little private party after this.' A group of rowdy men are entering the bar, you ignore them and their vulgar comments about your body. 'Oi, I'm talking to you.' one of them strays from the pack inviting himself into your personal space.' You look him up and down. 'I'm not interested.' he grabs your arm and you clench your fist. 'Henry, that's enough.' One of the more sober-looking men comes over and removes the Henry character from your person, you detect the hint of German in his accent. 'Go inside,' he pushes him in the direction of the bar. 'Sorry about him he's-'

'An arsehole.' you finish his sentence rubbing your arm. The man laughs. 'I was going to say drunk but arsehole is more appropriate.' You take in his appearance he is dressed very suavely and must have a bob or two. 'I'm going to head inside, are you coming? I can buy you a drink to make up for my rude friend?' You shrug. 'Well you are what you hang with, and I can't drink, I'm on shift.' The man nods. 'Ah, bartender, a noble profession if I do say so myself....Hey, did you just call me an arsehole?' he asks after a few moments. You crack a smile and he starts to laugh. 'Sorry, my defenses are up, you've no idea how unpleasant some customers are.' you blush. 'Hey, don't apologise, you are funny I like funny. Perhaps I'll see you inside?' You smirked. 'Perhaps you will.' he flashes another smile and heads inside. Throughout the night as you serve customers you repeatedly catch him staring at you. You end up smiling every time because it's cringy how obvious he is being. You shake your head laughing. Towards the end of the night time blurs and before you know it everyone is gone, it's your turn to lock up tonight.

You finish turning the last of the chairs upside down placing it on the table then leave closing the door you kneel down locking the bottom lock. Hearing someone cough behind you, you immediately jump up turning. It's 1 a.m., no one is around, usually. 'Oh my god!' you put your hand on your chest to calm yourself. 'You gave me a heart attack!' you laugh seeing the guy from earlier. He holds up his hands laughing too. 'I'm sorry I did cough, I didn't intend to startle you. I was just wondering if my driver and I could give you a ride home?' he gestures to the car and the engine revs to life, the lights going on.' You don't normally go home with randoms from the bar, but you're tired and he seems okay, not out of it anyway. 'Mmm, what if I get in the car and you end up harvesting my organs or worse trying to convert me to your religion?' you tease. 'Perish the thought, I do all my organ harvesting in the country and I wouldn't consider myself religious. Do I qualify as a safe ride home?' You walk over to him your eyes glint suggestively. 'I suppose I'll take my chances.' You get into the back of the car with him.

Other than light conversation he does not try anything, the car takes you to your flat and stops outside. 'This is me.' you announce. 'Thanks for the lift.' You go to open the car door. 'Wait.' you freeze. He gets out of the car and goes to the other side opening the door for you. 'A lady should never have to open her own door.' You smirk at him and get out of the car. 'Why thank you kind sir, but I'm no lady.' you saunter passed him. 'When will I see you again?' he calls after you. 'I didn't say you would.' you call back. 'Wait you didn't even give me your name.' You open the door and turn to him with a smirk. 'I didn't give you it. You'll need to earn it. Goodnight.' You wink at him and go inside. He fans himself with his hand and runs a hand through his hair, he's obsessed with you, he wants to win your affection. After that he starts visiting the bar regularly, You talk about mundane things, and he brings you flowers and chocolates. You decide he has earned your name but it's not enough. He takes you out to expensive restaurants and orders fine wines. This doesn't get him much farther, you're not just gonna sleep with a guy because he gave you gifts. Kat warns you but you don't listen and eventually, your friendship expires.