V: Master the Skies

Nothing described how the snow encased his body or how stiff his legs, arms, and body were. He could see swirls of his breath coming out of his nose, like dragon smoke. His eyes widened as he felt the cold air fill his body, stealing what little warmth he had. He was cold because the warmth he felt did not belong to him. 

He looked up at the twisted tree, which bent and twisted like a serpent, its branches twisted and skeletal claws dangling the snow and icicles off them.

But nothing, not even the tree above, could describe how dead he felt.

"Kusuo!" He heard a voice yell.

His ears, however, rang with a piercing silence. He could see a looming figure behind him. "Kusuo!" As his eyes adjusted to the figure standing above him, her voice became clearer. The black-haired woman pierced him like a Viking piercing a dragon ready to be slain. "Are you okay?"

Her voice wasn't always pleasant to hear; it was high-pitched and had a scratchy tone, but it provided comfort nonetheless. She knelt next to her son. "Your arm is bleeding like hell. Are you all right?"

They were racing to the top of that tree one moment, with Kusuke initiating the challenge. Even though Kusuo couldn't care less about winning, Kusuke advised him not to use his powers to cheat. However, if it got his brother to stop talking and got him Coffee Jelly as a prize, he was in.

Kusuke, on the other hand, was always up to something. Kusuo's powers grew out of control as a result of his attempts to sabotage his younger brother. Kusuke was able to knock off his antenna, limiting his power usage. However, once that was removed, his body erupted in piercing pain, as if all of his powers were acting simultaneously.

As he tried to tilt his head to his mother, Kusuo's body remained stiff, as if his powers were stabbing him. Kusuo was now a tough little boy, unable to be broken easily due to his psychic abilities; not even the entire world could break him if it tried. The warmth, however, was ripped from his body, replaced by an agonising pain of cold and darkness.

Kusuo's breath became short as his chest heaved up and down, his voice choking as he struggled to get a word out. His eyes widened, his brows creased together, his face paled, and his lip trembled.

That was until his mother scooped him into her arms. Despite his protests that he would never let her pick him up, Kusuo clung to her shoulders for dear life, burying his face in her chest. "I didn't intend to." He spoke in hushed tones. His mother's heart skipped a beat, and he could feel her sorrow and remorse pouring out of her.

"I know." His mother spoke in hushed tones. She began to notice the white snow on the ground, which sparkled in the sunlight like a choreographed dance, resembling fairy dust. Her boots sank into the crunchy snow as she trudged through it, until she came across the two pink orbs she picked up and placed on her son's head.

She noticed her husband picking up an unconscious Kusuke as she looked around. She froze as she looked at the lifeless blonde boy shivering in his father's arms. She shook her head, refusing to believe Kusuo did this on purpose, knowing Kusuke had some dirty tricks up his sleeve to torment his younger brother.

"This has gone on for far too long!" Kuniharu yelled, his rage seeping through his nose and swirling mist like a dragon.

"Don't start now; we can deal with this later. When both of our kids are awake and warm." As she returned inside, she glared, raising her chin.

Kusuo felt a suffocating blanket of warmth covering his body. He was shivering and disoriented as he was drowned out in the blinding white of the snow, his life ripped from his body. He felt as if a scythe had cut open his body, allowing the warmth to escape like blood. And now it was as if he had been stitched back up, with a suffocating warmth wrapping around his body, restoring what had been lost. He couldn't decide which felt worse.