0 8

JOHNNY AND I stayed together for the rest of the day, just for me to wake up the next morning and go to work.

I had been debating overtime for a while, but that had already been decided for me. Walking into the diner on Saturday morning, I was greeted by the sight of only one other waitress: Violet.

When seeing my puzzled expression, she simply shrugged and went back to wiping down the counters.

For the next two weeks, I was working overtime. I didn't see Johnny but in passing, and only saw my brothers in the morning and before bed. I didn't really have time for anyone, much less myself.

I worked every school night until nine o'clock, then worked on homework for a couple hours, dozing off every few minutes and having to call it quits by nearly midnight. It was a wonder I was even able to wake up the next day just to do it all again.

I wanted a break. Needed it, even.

So, when Linda put me on for only half a day one Saturday, I was ecstatic.

Coming home during daylight admittedly felt weird, but in a feel-good, last-day-of-school sort of way.

It was a pleasant day: not scorching hot, and the cool breeze was just gentle enough to toss around the fallen leaves, which crunched under my feet as I walked.

I eventually made it home — sweaty and tired, but happy.

I wasn't surprised to see Two-Bit sprawled out on the floor in front of the TV when I walked in, with Ponyboy and Johnny playing cards on the coffee table.

"Hey." Johnny said quietly as I walked in, smiling.

"Well, howdy, stranger," Two-Bit interrupted, "long time no see."

"It's called work, Two-Bit," I said snarkily as I hung my purse on the coat rack, "of course, you wouldn't know nothin' about that."

"Yeah, I'll pass," he said, looking me up and down, "looks like you been right from Hell and back."

"You could say that." I said shortly before heading to my room.

"We're going to the drive-in later," Pony said, "wanna come?"

I thought for a second, sighing silently. I was exhausted, but I had been wanting to spend time with them. Who knows when we could do it after today?

"Sure," I replied, "but let me take a nap first."

He chuckled. "Yeah."

I turned into my room, leaving the door open just a crack so that I could still hear the guys in the living room. I was barely able to change out of my work clothes before collapsing onto my bed.

I don't know how long I was asleep, but I was gently awakened by the feel of a tender kiss on my forehead. Though it took me a second, my eyes fluttered open to see Johnny's face hovering over mine, smiling as I again gained consciousness, his cheeks pink as he blushed sheepishly.

"Wake up, sleepy head," he said quietly, "we're leaving soon."

I smiled and sat up as he sat on the foot of the bed. "How long was I out?" I asked, rubbing my face with my palms.

He fiddled with one of the loose strings on my bedspread. "A couple hours, I dunno."

I admired him for a few seconds. The setting sun from the window cast a soft glow on his face as he looked down at the blankets, his legs swung over the side of the bed frame. I smiled stupidly and leaned over, taking his face in my hands and planting a kiss on his cheek.