On The Hunt for Mike Weiss

Mary Eileen Adler has only ever known two parents: Frank and Abby

Mary Eileen Adler has only ever known two parents: Frank and Abby. They were her dad and mom for all intents and purposes, regardless of the time Abby left. She understood that her real mother was Frank's sister, but she wasn't her mom.

And she understood that she had a father but that he never acknowledged her so really, he wasn't anything to her.

So why did Uncle Mike say he was her dad?

As her grandparents drove them to their Boston house, Mary sat quietly, not sure how to ask the questions in her head. Uncle Mike was nice but not nice to Frank or Abby. She remembered the bruises she saw on Abby and when she asked, she was told she was in an accident. But she knew it wasn't the truth.

"Nugget, are you hungry?"

Mary snapped her head up to Frank, who looked concerned. "A little," she whispered.

"Do you want..."

"I want Abuela's food. Because it's at home. And I want to go home."

The sadness in her voice nearly tears Frank in half. His little girl is scared and hurting. "Ok Nugget. We'll go home. We have a flight to Los Angeles tomorrow."

Mary nodded. "You won't leave me, right?"

Frank almost lost it right there. He lifted the girl out of her seat and into his lap, adjusting the seatbelt so she could sit the rest of the way home there. "I'm always going to be here for you. And I'll make sure nothing happens to you again, ok? I love you Mary, so much. Abby and I are go so happy you are ok and that you are back home with us." He kissed her temple and she snuggled into him. "You're ours Nugget and we'll fight every day to make sure of that."

May fell asleep in the comfort of his arms. They made it to Abby's parents' house and Frank took her right to the guest room. Tucking her in, he moved to leave the room, but a tiny hand fisted his shirt. "Please stay with me," she whispered.

Frank smiled, scooting her to the middle of the bed, took off his shoes and climbed in. Mary rested her head on his chest and went back to sleep, taking Frank with her.