Jane Doe

It shouldn't be this noisy in the library so early in the morning, I thought as I entered, my white sneakers squeaking on the pristine, white tiles. A floor mat was in front of me and I quickly hopped to it, rubbing my shoes for about thirty seconds until I felt it was dry enough for me not to cake the pavement with mud.

The library at this university I'm studying at is by no means massive, but it occupied two floors enough for it to look bigger than it actually is.

A hotspot for students who want to pass the time by sleeping or using their free Wi-Fi to couples sneakily making out in between bookshelves, the library is a separate entity from the Catholic university all in all.

I'm not trying to pass the time here by sleeping, nor am I trying to make out with anyone in between bookshelves, God forbid.

As I passed insignificant people from the staircase and made my way up the second floor, the noises got louder. I tried to hide the annoyance from showing up on my face by donning an expressionless one, hoping that they'd at least quiet down once they saw it. And fortunately, they did.

I don't fucking care at all really. I'm just here for the books, specifically the little nook of fiction books that I made my personal haven ever since I started studying here. Because of its scarcity, the fiction aisle was located right in front and near the librarian's desk, where I often check out books I wanted to read over the weekend. Heck, Janine, one of the librarians, basically knew me based on the nods and smiles we gave each other each time I come here, which was almost every day. I say almost, because I can't come here every Saturday nor Sunday.

The fiction books were put in two low bookshelves facing each other, which prompted me to squat down and look at each of the book's spine for something interesting to read.

Did I mention that this was all the fiction books they had? All the other bookshelves were filled to the brim with different books that are catered to each course program this school has, which, let's face it, no one would actually read.

J.K. Rowling, Stephen King, Stephenie Meyer... I picked up Veronica Roth's Divergent just for funsies even though I've read it five times already. I don't know, there's just something robotic in how she writes Tris, almost like how I wrote my books when I was just starting to write for fun.

A distinct, light blue cover of a book's spine situated in a corner of a bookshelf managed to get my attention, and I held my chosen book in my right hand before taking it, the title making my curiosity spike even more.

History is all you left me by Adam Silvera.

It seemed like a love story at first, until I read the back of the book.

How ironic.

To have a BL romance book in a Catholic university. No wonder they hid it, or at least tried to.

Oh well, it's none of my business. I was about to put the book back on the shelf, in a more... noticeable part of it, when a voice interrupted me.

"I never pegged you for being a BL hater."

I was trying to remember when and where I heard his voice, and it suddenly clicked. He was one of the noisy students who quieted down when they saw me.

I look at him, trying to match the voice with the face. Not bad. He seemed normal. Doesn't fit the bad boy trope nor the prince charming type, just an ordinary guy.

But strangely enough, his teasing tone and Cheshire grin irritated me. Maybe it's because my first impression of him is that he's not supposed to be noisy in a quiet establishment.

"Didn't peg you to endanger yourself and talk to strangers," I finally found my voice after analyzing him, "I guess we're both wrong."

He squatted down beside me, too close for my liking, and took the book from my hands. I was beyond careful that not even a small Eccrine gland of mine touched his.