Death

"What do you think of death?"

I asked my classmate, turning to him and witnessing how he looked down at himself before answering. "I think death is nothing."

"Oh?" I ask, "Elaborate."

We were sitting on the ledge of his rooftop at his 5-story apartment with nothing but the wind with us. I made a show of swaying my feet carelessly below, in which he watched in fascination as his eyelashes trembled.

Why do men get to have long lashes?

I thought.

"It's not that I'm not afraid of death, no, it's because I am. Death is nothing because we become nothing, you get what I mean? It's not like I don't believe in God or any of that religion shit, but the lack of knowing what happens after we die? Damn, it unnerves me to no end."

But people do know what happens before death. They just chose to forget.

"Oh." I merely nodded, turning my head to the horizon and watching the sun slowly set to bring about a new dusk.

About 30 minutes from now, sirens will sound, and the police will surround this apartment.

"Why do you ask?"

He was curious, rightfully so, seeing as we're close to death than ever before. I stood up on the ledge, and in his panic, he tried to stand up too, but I held him in place.

I shrugged, "I was just curious."

"How about you?" I hear his heart calm down from my unexpected movement, "What do you think of Death?"

I giggled.

Not only that, but I can't believe this guy asked what I think about myself.

"Well, I think of myself as a passage, an entrance, if you will. With different doors leading people to different routes as they have different beliefs." I explained.

He looked up at me, seeing if I was kidding or not. When he saw how serious I was, he gulped.

"What? You're kidding... right?"

The familiar scent of blood wafted through the air, and I knew I didn't have much time.

"I'm not," I held my hand out to him, and he took it, trembling. He stood up with me, and together we inched closer to the end of the ledge.

I can feel his despair, his regrets, his mistakes, and his sorrows. Not even joy nor love can be felt. He's drained of it. I do feel a bit of acceptance, but it's on the grounds that he's accepting me, death, and I don't think that's such a positive feeling.

"Will it hurt?" His body sagged, as if the weight of the world's problems were on his shoulders. For him, it probably felt like it.

"No."

"What is death?" He looked at me sadly, a stray tear falling from the corner of his eye. I let out a soft sigh and held his cheek, kissing his forehead briefly to give him my blessing.

"Death can be whatever you want it to be."

The familiar pain assaulted my mind as his thought and decision to where he wanted to go appeared like a map, a sort of maze-like labyrinth that he'll have to pass through before he arrived at his chosen door; reincarnation.

All I can say is that humans are greedy of everything. Even until they faced death, they still wanted to live. It's a sad and disappointing thing that only a rare few found true peace.

His long and complicated route ahead is caused by the turmoil that he has experienced and done in this life.

His difficult journey will prove whether he is deserving of reincarnation, and I do hope he passes it for the second time.

The sirens came just in time, with onlookers panicking and the policemen setting up the barrier tapes to thwart off said onlookers.

I didn't give him time before pushing his soul back to the mangled body below.