Ch.3: Moss Cabin

~˚ʚ♡ɞ˚~

Hitomi let out another foggy breath as the constant sound of the crunching of snow beneath her boots stopped as a result of her finding the cabin after roughly three hours of searching. The sky was dark blue by now and the chilliness of the weather and atmosphere disturbed Hitomi. Despite the lack of light Hitomi seemed to fare just fine as her vision made it easy to navigate through even in the dark.

Her hands shook as she brought up the map and looked up at the paper that she was given to confirm that she was in the right place. Luckily for her, she was. Though, for most of the walk she was completely out of it except for her occasional map checks and was lucky to not run into any trees. 

Since she was taking it slow, she didn’t hurt herself despite her injuries. Even though she was taking it slow it didn’t stop the lingering pain in her body whenever she crouched or stretched.

It was dark but much to Hitomi’s surprise there was still a source of light coming from bright purple flowers that hung on the roof draping over to the sides of the cabin. Upon further inspection she saw many of those pretty flowers connected to a makeshift garden.

"Wait but how can flowers still bloom in winter?" She said to herself. Her self-thoughts were interrupted by the cabin shaking. Hitomi jumped back and placed her hand on her chest to try to calm her heart.

Once she regained her composure she went closer to the cabin and knocked on it. The cabin was awfully worn down and there was moss growing around it. Hitomi was surprised that the pretty flowers were even able to grow here.

"Hello? Is someone there?" she asked. Hitomi assumed that something probably just fell. The thought of anything being in here was absurd.

There was no sound so Hitomi went back to looking at the flowers, completely forgetting about her original task. Once she got really close to the cabin she noticed that the moss was growing around the purple flowers and the wood was looking like it would snap any minute now. She noticed a red string on the handle of the cabin but brushed it aside. She was brought out of her thoughts by a meek voice calling out to her.

“Help! Is s-someone there?” the voice called out to her in a panic. Hitomi got up and went up to the cabin door which was covered in the same flowers and the door had a wooden board in between the handles to keep it closed. The handle looked like it was jammed in between the handles and then started to wear out.

“Yes! I’m here. Do you need help?” it didn’t register that it was a dumb question considering the voice said ‘Help’ but either way the voice paused with something of confusion but quickly responded. From the sound of the voice, it was a grown man.

“Yes I do! Can you please help me, little girl?” he begged her. Hitomi immediately understood that the man was in danger and tried to push the handle but it wouldn’t move.

“I can’t seem to push the door open,” Hitomi stated “if you can wait in a couple of hours I can bring someone if you’d like?”

“You’re by yourself? No, that isn’t necessary. I know you can get me out yourself.” the man insisted 

“Really?”

“Yes. All you have to do is push the flowers off of the front of the cabin. Can you do that for me please?” the man asked. His voice sounded desperate and it made Hitomi feel bad for him.

“Yeah, I can” Hitomi quickly replied as she felt like she talked enough for now and it was tiring. But there was something about what the man was saying that disturbing, warning signs were going off in her head but she moved the flowers out of the way of the door carefully so as to not rudely ruin such pretty flowers.