Ch.4: To choose

Hitomi stared blankly at the twitching body of the demon formally known as Mosu. She felt nothing even as she stared at a gruesome scene. She turned around, causing her limp arm to hit her side and headed into the cabin and with her (barely) good hand she picked up a bag. Whether it was the right one or not she didn’t know nor did she care.  

The sky got a bit brighter as she stalked her way up the mountain, completely ignoring the map that laid in the snow uselessly. She was already taking much longer because she had to drag her damaged leg with her.

She didn’t care though.

Not like it hurt anyway.

There were no thoughts in the girl's head as the hours flew by. Even as the cold light froze the blood that seeped through her sleeves and torn pants she made no reaction and didn’t even pause once even as she found her way just outside of the cabin she was looking for. 

Once she was in front of the door she didn’t bother to drop the bag but instead brought her forehead back and slammed it into the door multiple times in place of knocking. After she “knocked” a number of times she used the elbow of her (barley) good arm to open the door and the moment she stepped in she was greeted by a horrified Akio.

She didn’t even hear her voice say something as she dropped the bag and slowly fell over to the shaking floorboards. She didn’t feel herself hit the floor though, it felt as if she just drifted away.

~˚ʚ♡ɞ˚~

Don’t cry, okay?

It will be alright now.

I’ll keep you safe.

So please Hitomi, please don’t scream or cry.

I’m here.

~˚ʚ♡ɞ˚~

Hitomi opened her eyes slowly, she squinted slightly at the harshness of the sun's rays and moved her hand to rub the crust off the lids. The girl had no problem doing so and carefully sat up. A feeling of lingering sadness felt like it had just left her. 

She soon forgot it.

She at first thought she was in an unfamiliar place until she recognized the pink clothes that were hung on a chair with what looked like rips and dried blood in the fabric. Something about it was disturbing to her. The girl noticed that she was in an oversized light green kimono that was large enough to cover her body up until her thighs.

She suddenly felt an itch on her arm and looked at it, seeing dark patches of skin lining down her arm, as if her skin ripped open. Hitomi flinched when she touched it and forcefully had vague memories of what happened to her arm appear and disappear within her mind almost instantaneously. 

She groaned and looked at her lap seeing bandages on top of the blue blanket covering her body. She deduced that they must have fallen off in her sleep and in order to fix it she used her less scarred hand to messily rewrap them. She didn’t have to but she wanted to take her mind off of well… nothing.

Hitomi heard the sound of footsteps approaching the door and it opened revealing a very confused Akio with a bowl of water and a towel in his hands. He stayed silent and knelt beside her, putting the bowl down and plopping the towel inside of it. 

There were several things Hitomi noticed about him. First, from the bags under his eyes it appears that he has been tending to her for a while, though he did have previous eye bags so this may not be new. Then, the look on his face was trying to convey neutralness but from the faint, almost invisible scowl on his face as if he was uncomfortable around her. Lastly, he has a weapon on him. He tried to hide it behind himself  but Hitomi could see it.