one way ticket

Emma

Camila and I turned around as Damian walked away from us. Obviously, she started laughing at me the second she could, which means when he was far enough away that he couldn't notice us.

"Stop!" - I said, trying to keep a serious look while doing my best to hide a tiny chuckle.

"Am I still delusional?"

"Yes, yes you are!" - I replied immediately, sighing in disapproval as I watched her giggle, through my peripheral vision. I couldn't help but laugh too.

"I'm not as sure as you, Ems!"

I shook my head, smiling at her words. Then it hit me!

"What am I going to dress? I don't think I own party outfits, Camila!"

"Look how lucky you are, you happen to be best friends with someone who does. A LOT." - She entwined her arm in mine, leading us into the corridor where we were going to have the next lesson - "Actually!"- she continued after a while- " I already thought of the perfect dress!"

"I don't know how you do that but I love you!" - I breathed in relief while resting my head on her shoulder.

When school finished we took the bus to Camila's house. Even though she lived in an affluent part of town and clearly didn't need to use public transport, she did. Honestly, she was the only person from Swyncoast who didn't care about that type of stuff: she would walk to school and catch the bus without worrying about rich kids giving her the eye because to them only people from Frewood did it.

Once we got there, Camila's mum greeted us with a warm and caring voice that we could hear the second the door slammed behind us, announcing our arrival.

"Hi girls, how was school?"

"Just a normal Friday!" - Camila replied - "But surprisingly maths was pretty cool today! I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think I'm starting to like it!" - she laughed, as she put her backpack down at the foot of the kitchen counter stool on which she sat.

"I'm happy to know you are happy" - Ms. Van Doren admitted with a sincere and affectionate tone. A smile covered her whole face when she placed a kiss on her daughter's cheek, the moment she passed by us. She did the same to me.

"Hi Ms. Van Doren! " - I smiled back.

"It's always a pleasure to see you Emma! Take a seat, dear!" - she offered.

"Oh! Sure! Thank you!" - I put a loose strand of hair behind my ear while sitting.

"I almost forgot, you have your concert today, that's right?" - Ms. Van Doren was now behind the kitchen counter,  placing limonade in two cups for us.

"Yes, she does! You could try to talk to dad, for me, please! Just this once!" - Camila immediately begged, widening her eyes with a puppy face, not letting me answer.

"I'm sorry love, your dad wants you to spend time with your grandparents, I can't interfere!"

Camila rolled her eyes in annoyance, resting her face between the palm of her hands, supporting her elbows in the top of the balcony.