Chapter 12 - Getaway Van

"From your candidates activities and training, she is a good fit for the team and is able to join the ranks," Jace held in his breath, unsure of what he was expecting out of his higher ups, noticing their 'buts' in the sentence a mile away. "But, there is one condition she will need to go through to really join." Jace leans forward without a single word, willing to listen. The two main higher ups in front of him gently placed the papers in front of him and slid it gently forward so he could read the contents better.

The shudder left in his breath wasn't what he was willing to give out but it was more than enough to tell, these were the terms of agreements needed to be fulfilled if she really were to join the ranks of Sentinel Services.

___

A knock on the door was made and someone came in without needing to say much. "Hey, what's with the secrecy?" Izzy spoke in a hush tone to the girl in front of him. "Lock the doors and close the blinds." Amber goes to order him and waits on her desk as he does what she asked. As she gestures to him to sit in front of her, she looks him dead in the eyes. "Dad's trying to sign me a contract of some sort but he won't tell me what's in it." She gets to the point and he looks at her, stunned. "Contract? Nobody has ever done a contract with trainees in training before. Why is this new?"

That's what she nodded in agreement about. "Exactly! I followed every protocol, every procedure, every rulebook there is to join the Sentinel Services and all I'm getting is setback after setback after setback. This is getting ridiculous Iz. Why am I a special case? Nobody has been a special case in years during my time being here and growing up here."

"There was only one special case but it was never revealed what the aftermath was." The revelation only piqued Amber's curiosity. "Is there any way I can know what's in it for me?" Izzy hums in thought, trying to figure out what to do before an idea pops up. "I may have a way to find out but this may take some time." She nods, agreeing with the idea itself. "I'll wait if I have to."

___

"Amber, just sign the papers." Her father tried his best to persuade his only daughter, despite how discouraged he feels with her stubbornness. "Dad, for the last time, I am not signing those papers until I know what's in them. You have never not told me anything when it comes to signing contracts before so why is this different now?" She frowns at her father while crossing her arms as she's seated, looking defiantly against her father.

"If you don't sign these papers, you won't be able to join the missions I provide for you Amber."

She loses her defense stance and slowly stands up. "What do you mean?"

"Listen, this is an order by the higher ups. Unless you don't sign this contract, you are most likely benched from joining any onsite missions to capture mutants." He gently explains to Amber, trying to help her understand the gravity of the situation he was in. "That's absolutely insane. Why does my title get jeopardized by a contract?! Why am I a special case?" She exclaims in anger, the build up of her resentment had finally blown over.

"I wish I can say why but it's not my place to say. All I can do is provide what I can to get you into the ranks as quickly as possible. I know this has been your dream to follow my footsteps but there's a lot of procedures before getting you in. I promise this will all make sense, but until then, I need you to sign this." Jace again tries his best to persuade his daughter.

"No! Until you get me in one of your missions, and until I get to see the terms and conditions, I am not signing that damn contract. You hear me? I am not signing my life away until I know what exactly am I signing up for. I did everything I could, followed every last one of the procedures in every training, trained very hard to become the best of the best trainees and yet for years I never got what I wanted? What else do you want from me Dad? I am so sick and tired of trying so hard and still never being enough for you!" All the pent up emotions from Amber had led itself to a floodgate of emotions Jace had never seen from his daughter. Despair. That was what he was seeing for the first time.