Kim vs. Winston

The weeks passed and the inevitable clash between the debate club and the soccer team loomed closer. Kim found himself buried for an upcoming debate, determined to prove that intellect can triumph over brute force.

One afternoon, as he was immersed in a sea of books and articles, a familiar voice disrupted his concentration.

"Hey there Mr. Kim. Mind if I take a seat?"

Kim looked up, raising an eyebrow at Winston's study audacity to invade his study haven.

"Oh I'm thrilled. Please make yourself comfortable" Kim grinning sarcastically.

Winston ignored the sarcasm, sliding into the chair across from Kim.

"You know, I was thinking. We could use a bit of healthy competition to keep things interesting"

"Healthy" competition from the soccer team? Now I've heard it all.

"Believe it or not, we have more than just fancy footwork. How about a little debate versus the soccer scrimmage? I know your club was cooking a debate contest this week"

"You want to pit your soccer skills against my debate skills?" Kim raising an eyebrow.

"Bakit hindi? Let see kung 'yang matalas mong dila is as effective as my goal-scoring prowess"

"Oh, this will be entertaining! But let's raise the stakes. Kapag nanalo 'ko you will recite all the article of 1987 Constitution including the preamble, word by word" Kim raised his bet.

"And if I win, you will be my servant for the next week"

"Ok! Deal" Kim offering his hand to Winston to close the deal.

"Wait Mr. Kim. Paano kung mag tie?"

"Don't waste your time. We all know I'll ace this"

"Don't be so confident Mr. Kim. The game not yet started"

"Then bring it on!"

After that day Kim never wasted any of his time for anything but review all of the possible topics and contemporary events for the upcoming debate with Winston. On the other hand, Winston was also determined to top Kim and win over him. The soccer superstar can only be seen at the school library reading tons of books for the upcoming debate.

As the day of the debate versus soccer scrimmage arrived, the whole school buzzed with anticipation. The bleachers were packed, the atmosphere was electric.

As the event began, Kim and Winston stood on opposite sides of the stage, ready to face off in a battle of words and skills.

"Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed judges, and fellow students, we are gather here today to witness a spirited debate on a topic that has shaped the societies and economies for decades: "Socialism vs. Capitalism." Representing the affirmative side of socialism, we have Kim Huat Ng. Defending the very relevant capitalism, we have Winston Pineda. Please begin your arguments."

"Good day to all present. Today, I stand before you as a proponent of capitalism – a system that celebrates individual freedom, promotes competition, and drives innovation. Capitalism harnesses the innate human drive for progress and rewards those who take risks, ultimately propelling society towards prosperity." Winston opening statement.

Kim was actually surprised that Winston was this well-spoken and can deliver his words flawlessly. But as if he's not better than him. At least that's what he is thinking,

"Thank you Mr. Winston. While capitalism certainly offers opportunities for personal advancement, it is crucial to examine its consequences. The unchecked pursuit of profit can lead to income equality, as wealth accumulates in a hand of privileged few. Socialism, on the other hand, seeks to address this imbalance by promoting shared wealth and collective well-being" Kim smiled confidently as he delivered his side.

"I appreciate your concerns, Mr. Kim. However, socialism's emphasis on wealth distribution often undermines the incentive to work hard and excel. Sa madaling salita, sobrang patas ng sosyalismo, Mr. Kim. For example, pareho tayong trabahador sa isang company. Madalas kang mag over time at ako hindi, pero tuwing kinsenas we still have the same amount of salary. In a country under socialism we only get what we need even we work harder anyone or even if anyone didn't even work to earn. Hindi na natin mabibili yung mga gusto natin, sapat nalang para makabili ng pagkain natin tatlong beses sa isang araw. While, capitalism thrives on competition, which spurs individual to continuously innovate and offer better products and services. This competition benefits consumers and drives progress."

Kim was very shocked by the statement landed by Winston. He pointed the disadvantage of his side this early. He needs to think more to banter back with full polite manner.

"Competition is important, Mr. Winston. But let's not disregard the ethical implications of unchecked capitalism. The pursuit of profit at any cost can lead to unethical practices, such as environmental degradation and exploitative labor conditions. We are currently experiencing the unfair capitalism. Hindi mo ba napapansin na nagiging alipin lang tayong ng Oligarchic capitalism? Sunod-sunuran laman tayo sa mga orligarko. Nag-aaral tayo, nag-papatalino para pagkatapos ay magtrabaho sa gusto nating mga companies and be their slave. Sa isang kapitalismong bansa, nag-aaral tayo para mag trabaho, we don't have to rights to choose when we're just a mere proletariat. We should study not to find work, we should study to make work. And that is basically what socialism strive for, it focus on social responsibility, places importance on sustainable practices and worker rights."

The crowd went wild, shouting for Kim's name as he flawlessly deliver every point and destroyed the opponent's foundation.

"Woah! KIM FOR PRESIDENT!"

"Go, Kim"

Was all audible during that time with loud applause for Kim. On the other side Kim saw Winston also clapping his hand while looking at him directly. He was nervous for a staring completion so he panicked and look away to save his ass.

Both sides are not willing to give up and determined to win this. The debate lasted for two hours and the crowd are still tuning in as both parties keep throwing hard rock reality about socialism and capitalism.