The Partnership

"Ladies and gentlemen, esteemed judges, and fellow students, we have witnessed a thought-provoking and engaging debate on the question of capitalism vs. socialism. Both Winston Pineda and Kim Huat Ng presented compelling arguments that shed light on the complexities of these economic and social systems. After careful and tough deliberation, the judges have reached a split decision.

I'm pleased to announce you that the winner of this debate is... Kim Huat Ng, defending the merit of Socialism."

The announcement ignited the crowd once more, prompting cheers and applause to fill the air. Amidst the fervor, Kim, who had been anxiously awaiting the verdict, felt a wave of calm wash over him as the announcement rang out.

With a mixture of relief and pride, he stepped forward to accept the trophy, his heart swelling with a sense of accomplishment. Stepping off the stage platform, he was halted in his tracks when he spotted Winston waiting for him in the hallway just beyond the stage.

"Congratulations, Mr. Kim," Winston's unexpected words left Kim momentarily stunned.

"Is he genuinely congratulating me? This could be part of his act, yet his eyes betray a sincerity I can't ignore."

Kim's response, laced with a touch of dry humor, masked the surprise that had gripped him. "Thank you, although I expected nothing less than victory."

Despite his composed exterior, Kim couldn't deny the truth within himself – Winston had indeed proven to be a formidable adversary during the debate. It was an acknowledgment he reserved for his inner thoughts.

Winston's next words carried a mix of playfulness and earnestness. "Of course, this topic was right up your alley. You had the upper hand from the start. However, let's not forget that I gave you quite the challenge, didn't I, Mr. Kim?"

With a wry smile, Kim retorted, "Don't get ahead of yourself. You've memorized the constitution, haven't you? Tomorrow's recitation is waiting for you."

Winston's tone shifted, his voice carrying a newfound determination. "Let's have a rematch, Mr. Kim. I'm determined to emerge victorious next time."

Before Kim could respond, Winston's words echoed down the hallway, a final challenge thrown his way as he disappeared from view.

[Time Skip: The next day]

The faculty seems to notice the big potential of Kim and Winston if they work together. During teacher assembly, the principal made a surprising announcement.

"I have an exciting announcement to make. This year, we'll be introducing new program where students from different backgrounds will be paired up for joint assignments. This will promote the importance of working together as team and will foster better understanding and teamwork. And so, I present you our first pair– Kim Huat Ng and Winston Pineda. What do you think?"

Majority of the faculty agreed and matched every students for the school project.

--------------------------

The fluorescent lights buzzed overhead as Kim stormed into the classroom. His debate club binder clutched tightly in his hand. His eyes locked onto Winston, who was lounging in his seat with that infuriating smirk.

Kim exhales sharply before walking towards Winston. "Well, well, if it isn't the soccer prodigy himself."

"And look who's graced us with his presence– the verbal virtuoso."

Kim's lip tightened as he resisted the urge to roll his eyes. The classroom was already a battlefield, and they didn't even started the day.

"Good morning, class! Before we dive into today's lesson, I have an exciting announcement. We're embarking to a semester-long project exploring the rich history of Dee High. This project was requested by the principal."

'Great another project, no time to relax then....' Kim muttering after the teacher's announcement.

"Cheer Up, Mr. Kim. This can be the season two of our competition. It is a match made in academic haven" Winston butt in to Kim's mutters.

"OH! I can hardly contain my enthusiasm." Kim banter's back to Winston.

"And here's the twist– you'll be working in pairs!"

Kim's jaw clenched, and he shot a venomous glare to Winston, who was now grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"This is a cruel joke."

"Don't look so thrilled, Mr. Kim. 'Wag kang mag alala, I promise to bring touch of soccer charm to our project."

"Oh, joy. The academic partnership has been yearning for more penalty kick of yours, then. I will never be partner with you anyway."

"Alam mo, you're just afraid that dazzling wit will outshine your mastery of debate."

"Come on Mr. Winston Pineda. Your so called dazzling wit was once outshined by my skill remember?"

Their whispered exchange caught the attention of nearby classmates, and amused smirks began to spread.

"Kim and Winston are at it again. This project will be so legendary." Reyster muttered beside Vinci who was sipping his brewed coffee.

"Let me reveal the first pair. Kim and Winston you'll be working in pair"

Kim's expression shifted from irritation to disbelief. Winston's grin only widened, and Kim's friends exchange knowing looks.

"This is going to be epic" Reyster's eyes was full of excitement, pushing Vinci and Kim's back because he can't resist it.

"Ano ba Reyster, yung kape ko" Vinci was frustrated because his coffee almost spilled.

"Sorry ssob" Reyster was tamed by Vinci.

"Can you do this Kim? I can ask the professor para makapag palit tayo ng partner" Vinci being the considerate friend for Kim.

"No! He'll tease me more kapag ginawa ko 'yan. I'll deal it by myself"

"If you say so. Then I'll just sit and watch your rivalry turns to mutual understanding then" Vinci sipping his coffee once again leaning his back to his chair.

"NO! THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!"

"Don't talk to early Kim. Ganyan din kami ni Vinci dati, enemies to lover trope."

"You both already know that I'm seeing someone" Kim cleared his name. 

"Ahh, Oo nga pala. Nililigawan ka pa rin no'ng paborito mong manggagantsyo." Vinci sarcastically said.

"Hindi pa lang siya ready to have label." 

"Isang taon na kayong may mutual feelings, hanggang ngayon hindi pa rin siya ready? Ang sabihin mo, duwag 'yang si Jom." Reyster banter back.

Now Vinci and Reyster are both teasing Kim.

As the teacher explained the project details, Kim and Winston exchanged a series of pointed glances, their unspoken rivalry crackling in the air.

"Buckle up, Mr. Kim. This project is about to get more interesting."

"Oh, I'm sure your insights will be riveting."

"Just wait until you see my captivating storytelling skills."

"Captivating? Ganoon mob a tawagin yung mga Instagram captions mo?"

"That was a little harsh. Pero 'wag kang mag alala Mr. Kim, bubuhatin naman kita sa project natin."

"Talaga? I'm positively tingling with anticipation.

As their banter continued, the whole class erupted with laughter, and even the teacher struggled to contain a smile. Little did Kim and Winston know, their reluctant partnership was about to lead them on a journey neither of them could've predicted.