28 - Hannah's Bad Day

Hannah arrived at the sports bar an hour early before her shift and sat alone in a private booth at the rear of the dining room. She used the time to replay her job interview earlier in the day with the online retailer. Her interviewer, the company's IT director, was a fastidious little man who kept fussing with his cufflinks. She had come prepared, having studied the history of the company, their current business model, and their most recent annual report to shareholders. In her experience, interviewers were impressed by candidates who had done their homework and could ask intelligent questions. She hoped her preparation would distinguish herself from the rest of the field of candidates and make her shine.

The little man, who ironically was named Mr. Bull, never gave her the opportunity to shine. After asking her to explain what she did at her previous company, he immediately put her on the defensive by asking, "What makes you think you can manage an all-male department of seasoned IT professionals?"

Hannah easily translated what his question was really asking. You are an attractive, young woman. How can you possibly get a bunch of older, ego-driven men to take you seriously as their boss?

The question angered her, because she had just finished explaining how in her former job, she had gained the respect of her mostly all male team by setting strict boundaries from the get-go regarding their conduct toward her. She had established clearly defined project goals and timelines. She was willing to listen to their suggestions and give them credit when, in her judgment, their ideas made sense. She learned how gaining respect came from being consistent, encouraging open communication, and sticking up for her team with upper management.

Did Mr. Bull not listen when she explained that? Maybe he should have been paying attention instead of resting his elbows on his desk while polishing his cufflinks.

It had also upset her when he asked why she had been laid off from her former job, as if the post-covid bust had been her fault. He kept hammering away on the subject, not willing to accept her explanation of being the least senior manager; therefore, as per protocol one of the first to get the ax. She had provided Mr. Bull with a letter of recommendation from her former boss that backed up her words.

Did he not read the letter?

The whole ordeal seemed to Hannah as if the man was just going through the motions, because maybe he already had a candidate in mind for the job. He was just looking for any excuse to reject her.

So, once again she had left another job interview feeling frustrated and depressed. To make matters worse, she had called James the night before and arranged to meet with him before her shift. Their meeting was not something to look forward to. She checked the time. He was due any minute. Thinking about dealing with her ex put Hannah in a sour mood, but his stalking of her had to be addressed and stopped.

Wearing what looked to Hannah as a victorious smile, he slid into the booth with her. "Hey, babe."

"I'm not your babe," she snapped. "Not anymore."

He slouched and wore a contrite expression. "I know I screwed up. All couples fight, but they eventually get past it. I already apologized, I'll apologize again, and I'll apologize a hundred times more if that's what it will take."

Hannah seethed. "Do you consider what happened a simple fight? You told me to my face how you wouldn't support me financially when I never asked nor wanted you to. You blamed me for losing my job as if I manipulated my firing to get you to be my meal ticket. Wake up, James, what happened was not a fight, it was a train wreck, an unmitigated disaster of your making. Don't minimize it by calling it a simple mistake."

He held up his hands as if preparing to ward off blows. "Okay, you're right. I admit it. I should have stood by you. What can I do so we can move past what happened and go back to the way things were?"

She scoffed. "Move past it? There is no moving past it. We are broken beyond repair."

He leaned across the table closer to her. "We also have a happy history of many years together. Doesn't that count for anything? I made a terrible mistake, Hannah, but I love you. I've already gone out of my way to make amends by proving I'm willing to support you. I got your car back on the road. I'll even buy you a new car, a token of my love—"

"—Hold on," She interrupted. Did she hear him correctly? "What do you mean you got my car back on the road?"

He sat up straighter, pride written in his expression. "My accounting firm handles the dealership financials. I was assigned to audit their books and your name popped up in their accounts receivable journal. I took care of arranging for your repairs, and I paid for it."

"That was you?" She felt gob smacked. "Hank from the service department told me the owner was making good on my deal."

"I asked him to tell you that so I could surprise you later. Surprise!"

Hannah slumped in her seat. James truly believed he had made a conciliatory gesture. How could he not see the utter inappropriateness of his action, abusing his position, involving poor Hank as an accomplice, violating a client's confidential records, ignoring his ethics as a professional, and likely breaking the law in the process.

She squeezed shut her eyes. He was a completely different person from the man she had once loved for so many years. There would be no reasoning with this version of James. She would have to change tactics.

When she opened her eyes, James was still speaking, making his case about how they could start over. She could no longer bear listening to his words and interrupted him.

"James, you need to stop talking now and listen to me."

He went quiet and wore such a hopeful expression, Hannah almost regretted what he was forcing her to tell him.

"James, I am not coming back to you, not now, not ever. We are done as a couple and even as friends. Let me make myself perfectly clear. I no longer have feelings for you. I no longer want to see you or hear from you. Forget about me and move on with your life. I've already moved on with mine."

James' hopeful expression transformed into one of anger. "Let me make myself perfectly clear. Your little temper tantrum has gone on long enough. I've been patient with you and put up with your show of indifference and have played along to make you feel like you've won. I even let you rub my nose in it by allowing you to date that macho goon."

He leaned in across the table and into her personal space. "Here's what's going to happen. You and I will cease this ridiculous dance. Together we'll agree on a wedding date and never speak again of this bump in the road."

Hannah checked her feelings. She should be angry. She should be afraid. Instead, she regarded her ex-lover with pity, so broken he was. She sighed and stood, pushed herself from the booth.

She met his gaze. "If you ever try to contact me again, if you ever show up here again at my work, if you ever come anywhere near me, I swear I will press charges and have you arrested."

Walking away, she said over her shoulder, "Goodbye, James."

"No. This is not goodbye. We are not over."

She ignored him and escaped into the kitchen.

Do you get the feeling we haven't heard the last from James?