3. Is That a Dead Person?!

Rome Aalders

We could have set out for the Big Apple after the djinn were destroyed, but Kerry was still smoldering and half-conscious, Monkey needed so much healing that Chance was drooping, and Kerry's warden demanded a comprehensive report. So we found a hotel and everyone crashed while I told Hank and Gina Bishop everything there was to tell.

That night, they went back to the Sanctuary to get what they needed to join us, which left me to marshal our troops. I gave Spin the job of watching over our wounded when it became obvious he wasn't going to leave Monkey's side anyway. Jax and Gigi, I sent off to get supplies for Monkey and bring back food for all of us.

That left Mira and me to coordinate with John, try unsuccessfully to contact Clem, and call the Council's switchboard to request a clean-up crew and investigative team for City of the Future. We also tried to organize the New York trip, but no one knew the city better than Kerry. Neither Mira nor I had a clue where to start asking questions, and he would. Hank'd said Kerry knew people at the outpost and had extensive contacts within the Diabolical community. I couldn't hope to rival that, so I decided we would hole up at the hotel until Kerry was restored.

The next day, I was surprised when only Gina 'ported back. She handed me the key to a safe house in Brooklyn. She said she'd been surreptitious about getting it and was as confident as she could be that we'd remain under the radar of the Council's turncoat.

"Hank and I were tapped to head the clean-up and investigation at City of the Future, so you're on your own for a little longer." She looked me in the eye. "I must tell you, I fear the Council will issue a lockdown once we report the extent of human involvement."

I'd expected that. It was a standard procedure in times of crisis.

Before she left, she asked Monkey if she wanted to go back to the Sanctuary, but Monkey became so agitated that Spin had to carry her back to her room and spend the next hour calming her down.

The next day, he said they were ready to leave for their assignment.

I wasn't comfortable with the idea. Chance might have healed her injuries, but Monkey was too fragile to take back into the field, and I told him so.

"She's as healed as she's going to get physically." He shrugged. "She wants to be with me and I promised I'd look after her. If her health relapses, I'll take her to the nearest outpost, but she needs time and space to heal what's broken inside her. Chance says that's something she has to do herself."

Both of us looked over at Monkey, who sat on the floor in front of the TV.

"Let me talk to Kerry first," I stalled.

"Good enough."

He went back to Monkey, and I glanced at Mira.

"I agree with you." Her amber eyes shone with warm, clear light. "She could freeze at the wrong time and get them both killed. Then again, they're only tailing Hubler. How dangerous can it be to keep eyes and ears on the man? Still, you better see what Kerry thinks."

I headed off to the bedroom he shared with Jax. It took a few minutes, but I managed to get him awake long enough to explain what was up. Of course, he told me he didn't give a rat's rectum about Spin or Monkey and, unless I had news of Gemma, I could piss off. Then he went back to sleep.

Very helpful. I blew a deep breath out of my nose.

I didn't like the situation, but Spin was showing more maturity than I'd ever seen from him and, like Mira said, they were only tracking Hubler's movements. Plus, Monkey would never leave Spin, and I had a good feeling he felt the same way. So, reluctant though I was, I gave him the go-ahead to take off.