004, lingering stares

RIVER WAS LAY down on her bed with Parker, as the two girls talked.

"Why does nobody ever ask if you like Nate?" River questioned as she sat up, Parker then doing the same. "Everyone does with Ricky and I."

"We're different, he's like my brother." Parker replied. "But you and Ricky... I've seen those lingering stares. It just seems like something's there."

River furrowed her eyebrows. Could she ever see him in that way?

"And there probably isn't." She continued. "But have you ever thought about it? About you guys?"

"Not since recently." The girl replied. "He's like my favourite person in the world. I- I don't know."

Parker smirked. "Oh, my God. You like him!"

"No, no. I don't! I just wonder why people think we like each other." River explained. "Even if I did, which I don't, he would feel completely different. There's no point of wondering because it's never gonna happen."

"Okay." She muttered. "What about you and Nate? You've gotten... closer."

River grinned. "I like him... I think."

"Think? If you actually like him you shouldn't have to think about it." Parker responded. "Maybe you were right. Stay away from boys until you can actually figure out your feelings."

~

During dance rehearsals for status quo, River found herself staring at Gina as she did her solo in the dance.

"Everybody hold!" Miss Jenn said once it had finished. She then walked over to Nini, who had just walked in.

"Nini, where were you?" Miss Jenn questioned. "We've been here for an hour."

"I'm so sorry. I- I lost my phone and basically spent last night living as a hunter-gatherer," Nini explained, "which, by the way, did you know that there are things that are only on TV at a certain time? Okay, anyway, I finally picked it up in the lost and found, and... wait, did you say an hour?"

"Gina sent you and me a text asking if we could come in early so she could talk through a new idea. You didn't get it?" The woman said.

"No, because my phone was missing." Nini replied. "Well, honey, you've gotta keep better track of your stuff. A real triple-threat means singing, acting, and being organised."

The girl nodded. "Got it."

Gina looked over at River with a smile on her face, it had been Gina's doing.

River didn't necessarily care anymore, Ricky was back in the musical and nobody seemed to care. But she also kept to her word.

"Well, if you had been here, you'd know that Gina pitched a whole new dance break for Gabriella and Taylor in the middle of Status Quo, and she had Carlos work it all out with her, and it is just dazzling." Miss Jenn explained as Gina walked over.

River shook her head, before she noticed Nate in front of her. She had been trying to avoid him and Ricky, ever since her conversation with Parker the night before.

"Hey." Nate said, she looked up at him with a smile. "I think I'm ready to finish watching The Vampire Diaries."

"We watched two episodes, I don't think we'll be finishing it anytime soon." River replied as she stood up. "I can't tonight."

"Plans with Bowen?" He asked. She was getting annoyed with them both bringing each other up all the time.

"No, I have ballet to practice." She stated. "My teacher's been on my ass recently, so I just wanna make sure I'm perfect for the recital."