15

SAWYER

Noah cried for a long time, and I held her for as long as she did, longer even. I understood the pain of finally facing that fact that your parent was lacking. In Noah's case it was both. In mine it was one parent.

But while I was mourning the loss of an illusion of a good mother my dad was mourning something similar. I dealt with the confusion and pain with older brothers that were just as confused as I was.

We all drew different conclusions on the woman we used to love, the woman we still love in our hearts.

When I was first sent to prison I was filled with fresh teenage rage. Prison was a different ball park and the danger and dynamics stressed me out. I was still very upset with Viper. Going as far as to say I hated her.

She would visit me every week at the same time on Sundays. I would fold my arms, slouched in my seat and frown. Some visits we would just sit and stare at each other.

Then she reduced her visits to once every two weeks, and I was angry again. The 'head' of the prison at the time gave me very good advice and I realised although I was still very angry at Viper I appreciated the effort she put into visiting me.

And when she reduced her effort I was hurt again. Afraid she was going to be as angry with me as I was her.

So when she came to visit again I spoke to her. Her smile was one of the best things that I experienced that first year.

But sometimes we have to let people go.

Viper actively tried to change. To some extent she understood how badly she had affected us and worked hard not to repeat most of her mistakes.

Noah's parents however didn't seem ready for that.

It was completely normal to feel heartbroken. I would be with Noah through it all.

When she stopped crying and eventually fell asleep in my lap, Cedrick quietly sat beside us.

"You're a good man Cedrick."

"Thank you... is she okay?"

I looked down at her sleeping face and smiled. "No, but she will be."

He nodded and went back to petting the kitten.

--

Noah moved almost robotically at the fashion event. Viper was swamped with reporters and stylist while Noah looked just as busy.

When I tilted my head they didn't seem like boss and employee, more like co-owners.

"Such a nice gathering don't you think?"

I looked at the man who had appeared beside me from the corner of my eye.

He was handsome in a way that screamed entitlement. His suit was Armani, tailored to fit hit muscular body. We were the same height and roughly the same size.

My muscles were a fraction bigger than his, almost unnoticeable in our suits.

While my suit had several little rubies complementing its deep red colour his was black. The shirt under was black and the tie was black. The slacks black and the loafers black.

"It's a fashion show."

"Ah I see, I was under the impression it was an unimportant gathering. Like a work party."

I frowned. Who comes to a fashion show without knowing it's a fashion show. He was definitely not from town, everyone knew about Viper's show. She held it every year to find modelling talent.

"You come with a date?"

He smirked like he was in on some hilarious joke. "Something like that."

I looked at him again, this time he was looking at a group of models.

"A model?"

His smile began to stretch and I had a feeling the conversation was going to turn sour.

"Apparently she is a personal assistant."

I didn't show it in my body language but his random answered and smugness was starting to make sense, I just needed one more thing to confirm it.

"I'm Sawyer Brun." I didn't bother to offer him my hand.

He turned to face me, his hands in the pockets of his slacks and his ever present smug look on. "Marley Stone."

"Marley." Cedrick's strangled voice came from behind Marley. He turned to face his cousin.

"Oh Cedrick, it's been a while."

Cedrick had red travelling up his neck and attacking his ears, he stood straight as a pole. Looking up at his apparently evil cousin.

"What are you...?"

"Oh, Mr Reed said Noah asked me to come see her in her element."

My eye twitched when he mentioned Noah's name, I had to get her away from him, away from his line of sight.

"Not the most conventional date, considering she hasn't spoken to me yet but I think the night is still young."

My heart sank at his words.

Cedrick had said all he needed was a god damn date.

I turned away from them and quickly walked towards the dressing rooms, Noah had disappeared there.

She was in front of the door, fending off some flirty model.

"Bianca I'm seeing someone."

"Oh well then threeso—"

"Noah."

Noah's eyes brightened up at me while the model openly checked me out.

"Oh Sawyer, I'm so sorry. There has been so much to do and—"

I grabbed her hand and dragged her to the restroom at the back of the building.

When we were in the small space and I had locked the door Noah lifted and eyebrow. "I can't fuck right now my love."

I shook my head and held her shoulders. "Do you know Marley Stone?"

Her expression immediately darkened at the name. "Is Marley here?"

I nodded slowly. Noah bit her thumb nail and cursed. "Shit."

"Noah..."

"I can't leave Sawyer, there's one more walk."

"Bu—"

"I'll get security to remove him, afterwards we'll... fuck my fucking parents."

I hugged her and she relaxed a bit.

"Snatching the rose coloured glasses off is fucking exhausting."

"I think the glasses were green coloured baby. You knew it was harmful but you were deceiving yourself."

"I'll stick with rose coloured Sawyer." She smiled.