24

SAWYER

Viper followed me when I stormed out of the building. She didn't ask any questions, just ran after me and joined me in the car as I sped to the hospital.

That was the last place anyone had seemed to check. The last place she had been seen.

I broke a thousand traffic rules getting to the building. Viper said nothing.

We both ran into the hospital. For the first time it was busy.

Nurses walking around with patients and clipboards, people trying to get help. The noise and numerous bodies disoriented me for a while. Viper spotted some police officers questioning a nurse and pulled me in that direction.

"Ma'am when you say she was dropped here what do you mean?"

"Hey!" Viper yelled while pushing herself between the police officers. "We're looking for Noah Reed."

The officers glanced at each other.

"And who exactly are you?"

"Her girlfriend and boss."

"I'm sorry only her family can see her right now."

At the nurse's words I burst with anger. Shoving the officers out of the way I picked the nurse up by her collar and slammed her against the wall.

A pained whimper escaped her mouth.

"Where the fuck is my girlfriend?" I growled into her face.

Two officers pushed us apart while another asked her if she was alright.

Viper's voice came from a little far away. "Sawyer!" I shoved the officers off me and ran after my mom, following her down a short hallway.

Two officers tried to stop us from entering the room but I shoved one away while Viper pushed the door open.

I felt everything in me break when I saw Noah.

There were marks on her thighs that couldn't be covered by the hospital gown.

Marks on her wrist and her face was swollen.

An officer was beside her bed speaking to her with a notebook and pen. But that stopped when we burst into the room.

Her eyes snapped up to me and she gave me a teary smile. "Sawyer."

I sobbed as I moved to her bedside opposite the officer. The other officers came in but the one that was questioning Noah lifted his hand and they left.

She cradled my face while I sobbed. "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault." she smiled sadly, an exhausted look clouding her expression.

"I'm sorry to interrupt Miss Brun but have you been contacted by any one regarding this incident?"

I nodded, still looking into Noah's tired eyes.

"I'll be outside, please join me as soon as possible to discuss steps forward."

I nodded again while Noah brushed a tear from my cheek.

"Who was it?" I whispered while touching our foreheads.

"Emilia."

I gripped her hands harder. Emilia was in prison for possession of an illegal firearm. But even in prison everyone knew she was guns for hire. Which meant she had been hired.

"I'm gonna go talk to the officer." I whispered, gently kissing her.

She nodded and smiled again.

Viper gave my shoulder a soft pat as I walked past her out of the room.

"Can we talk outside?" I asked as I approached the officer.

He nodded and we moved outside. I led him to the parking lot.

"Miss Brun?"

"Someone called me. The voice was deeply fabricated."

"Miss Reed mentioned a black woman with purple hair she identified as Emilia."

"Emilia Kale. I served time with her. She was released before me."

The officer hummed when we got to the car. The little red fiat had its driver seat open and a brown envelope on it.

"Evidence?" I gritted out staring angrily at the envelope.

"Had the person hinted at what could be inside the envelope?" He asked while texting on his phone.

"'Souvenirs from our time together' that's what they said."

The officer hummed. "A team is on their way to retrieve this. Do you have any idea where Emilia Kale could be?"

"Probably already out of town."

He nodded. "Okay. I think that's it. We'll give you a call if there are any developments."

I nodded and began to walk back into the hospital but stopped when I saw a flash of purple hair.

I immediately broke out into a run, in a few strides I had Emilia shoved hard against the wall. "God, you have a lot of nerve." I growled.

She smirked. "Is this any way to greet an old friend?"

"Old friend? When you saw the target did you have to go through with it?"

"You and I both know where I get my jobs from, if it wasn't me it would've been someone else."

I pulled my hand back and punched her hard. She groaned and clutched her broken nose, blood leaking and tears in her eyes.

"Sawyer." I whipped my head to look at Marley.

"You said you'd protect us you fucking lair!" I grabbed his shirt and punched him as well.

"Where's Cedrick?" I huffed after pushing him away from me.

"On a getaway with your brother."

I nodded and turned back to Emilia. She was still groaning on the ground. "Caesar?"

Marley cleared his throat. "Yes."

I grabbed her by the collar and punched her three times in quick succession. "I'm going to kill you." I whispered and shoved her back into the wall. "The police will never find you because when I'm done with you there will be nothing left." I growled while typing a number.

"Who hired you?"

"You know it doesn't work like that. It was a wanted post. The payment was made as soon as I accepted."

"What happens if you try to run without doing the work?" Marley asked intrigued.

"They come for you." Emilia groaned.

"Hello?"

"Nicky. It's Sawyer."

She hummed. "Yeah I figured. And stop calling me Nicky."

"I need to cash in my favor."

She sounded surprised. "Really? Are you sure? You don't get another."

"I'm absolutely sure."