Chapter 3

"I want to go." Was the first thing Faith heard when she arrived back to the hovel
"Then, pack your things. We haven't much time."

"Yipee!!"
"You're worried." Qui-Gon tried to reassure Shmi who was worried about Faith, "She'll be...oh, hey! There you are"

Shmi's head shot to the side and she immediately ran to Faith seeing her stand in the door. She hugged her tightly and leaned back, cupping her cheeks "Where have you been?!" She scolded
"I'm sorry...I...Ani's leaving us?" Tears emerged in her eyes

She looked at Qui-Gon who kneeled down to her height, "I managed to free Anakin...and you."
Her face lit up "And mom?"

"I'm sorry...I tried to free your mother, but Watto wouldn't have it..."
"You're not coming, mom?" Shmi turned and motioned Anakin to walk over to them. "But the money from selling..."

Qui-Gon sighed sadly "It's not nearly enough."

Shmi walked over to her son and sat next to him. Taking both of his hands in hers, she drew him close. "Son, my place is here. My future is here. It is time for you to let go...to let go of me. I cannot go with you. This is a chapter for you and your sister to face alone"

Faith ran from Qui-Gon's grip and threw her arms around her with tears running down her cheeks "I want to stay with you. I don't want things to change."
"You can't stop change any more than you can stop the suns from setting. Listen to your feelings; Fai, you know what's right."

Anakin took a deep breath and dropped his head. Qui-Gon and Shmi exchanged a look of concern. When Anakin raised up and looked at his sister, there are tears in his eyes who was crying into their mother's robes "We're going to miss you so much, Mom..."
"I love you, both of you. So much...now hurry."

Anakin and Shmi gathered in a hug, Faith squeezed tightly between them. They both looked at her once more and ran to their rooms to pack their stuff.

Shmi looked at Qui-Gon with a grateful, sad smiled and tears in her eyes "Thank you."
"I will watch after them. You have my word. Will you be all right?"

"They were in my life for such a short time..."

...

Kitster ran up to Anakin as he, Qui-Gon and Faith exited the hovel. Shmi stood in the doorway. Anakin pulled a handful of coins out of his pocket
and gave them to Kitster.

"There are so many of us who want you to stay, Ani... You're a hero. You too, Fai. You have been a really great little helper"

Qui-Gon took Faith's hand and moved a short way down the street.

"I..." He looked to Shmi "I...we...have to go."
"Well."

"Well."
"Thank's for every moment you've been here. You're my best friend."

"I won't forget." Anakin hugged Kitster and ran toward Qui-Gon, then stopped to look back at his
mother standing in the doorway. He turned back to Qui-Gon and Faith, then turned and ran back to his mother.

"I can't do it, Mom. I just can't."

Shmi hugged Anakin. Qui-Gon and Faith watched from the distance. She kneeled down and looked him in the face.

"Ani, remember when you climbed the great dune in order to chase the Banthas away so they wouldn't be shot... Remember how you collapses several times, exhausted thinking you couldn't do it?" Anakin shook his head. "This is one of those times when you have to do something you don't think you can do. I know how strong you are, Annie. I know you can do this..."
"Will I ever see you again?"

"What does your heart tell you?"
"I hope so...yes...I guess."

"Then we will see each other again."
"I.. will become a Jedi and I will come back and free you, Mom...I promise."