Misfortune I

"She is out."

The three words immediately catch the attention of the rest of the demons residing in the hall of the Ayabbi. Even Vazgan sits up in his throne, a dangerous spark in his red eyes as he stares at Jimin.

"What?", he snarls, quickly followed by a "How?".

Lust's eyes narrow, as if it displeases him to admit it. "I don't know", he replies. "But I can feel the curse growing weaker." He balls his right into a quick fist, as if he can almost physically grab the power that's now starting to become available to him.

"She is the only one who could do this. It's the only explanation."

Vazgan snarls and a second later, his fist meets the armrest of his throne, though to his evident dissatisfaction, the impact leaves no trace on the black stone.

"That means the others are getting stronger as well", he growls. Although it isn't a question, Jimin nods, his eyes burning a furious red.

The faces of the remaining Ayabbi harden as well, and Zoczi lets out a small, hateful hiss, but Vazgan quickly calls them to order.

"Do not worry", he says, suddenly surprisingly calm, and leans back in his throne. "Even if freed, the power of the Seven will still be limited. Our resources are vastly more inexhaustible compared to theirs, and we are building an army as we speak."

He pauses for a moment, allowing the sounds from the outside to reach the other demons' ears – the ugly screeching, growling and moaning of thousands of lower demons slowly assembling around the castle, as they have been for a few days.

The leader hums. "There is no need to be afraid of anything", he says, and then a vicious spark lights up in his red eyes. "We will destroy them all."

Although the tension in the room eases a little, Zoczi is still dissatisfied, and it prompts Jazkar to abruptly push himself out of his stone chair.

"What do you say, Zoczi", he smiles dirtily while he approaches the female in his typical elegant way, nonchalantly putting an arm around her shoulder as he reaches her. He looks down on her, and she returns his glance with a grin slowly spreading on her face.

"Shall we spread some chaos regardless?"

──────────────────────────────────────────

You have no idea how many houses and fields you have visited, but you don't care. The pain in your arm is relentless, and by the way Heishe glances at you from time to time while leading the people through the ritual, you can tell it shows on your face.

You didn't stay in the demon hunter's house long. It felt crushing to be in the home of someone you just killed with your own hands, so you left as soon as your clothes had dried and the rain had let off.

And now you are here, and you wish you were still in that house and could rest. It's not physical exhaustion that is forcing you to move slowly, it's the gnawing pain in your arm that's eating its way through your body and your mind and seems to wear you down layer by layer until you're reduced to the surprisingly human desire to simply be free from pain.

None of the people you have met since the demon hunter have even attempted to defend themselves or attack you, and you can kind of guess that it's because you are struggling more and more to keep the red from invading your irises and the way you stare at the people emptily, wishing to leave every house as soon as you set foot in it.

All you want is to be alone, to curl up like a wounded animal and sink into velvety darkness until your pain is gone, but the comforting hug of unconsciousness is impossible for you, and you're almost sure that you will be able to feel the pain teetering on the borders of your mind even when you slip into the half-calm of your sleep-like daze.