II - 𝙳𝚎𝚗𝚢𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝙵𝚊𝚝𝚎

"I thought your existence was merely a rumor," said a female's voice from behind me

"I thought your existence was merely a rumor," said a female's voice from behind me. I whipped my head to the voice's direction, seeing a woman about my height. Her omniscient purple eyes shone vibrantly against her greyish hair, tied back on a low ponytail.

Today was the selection of Sakuya's fiancée from the prospective partners chosen by our mother.

Turning to her hesitantly, I placed down the brush I was holding. "Do you need help in finding the gathering hall, Ojou-sama?"

"Did you just assume I am here for marriage because I am a woman?," she retorted.

Observing her face up close, it was obvious she did not come for that. Apart from the light collection of robes draped over her shoulders, her hair was tied and pinned back. There was not a trace of powder on her face nor stain on her lips.

But whatever else would she come here for?

I bit my tongue and lowered my head. "Forgive me for assuming such. I merely wanted to offer my help since I am a member of the house. My name is Ichihara Sena."

She took a few steps in, entering the gazebo. As much as I disdained the company of strangers, I couldn't help but be intrigued about the newcomer. "I am Kaia of Inumaki clan. Entertain me for a while, yes?"

"Unfortunately, I am no good at providing entertainment, but if you wish to find amusement in my incompetence, then you may sit down."

Kaia began to smile and chuckle. She comfortably took a seat, eyeing the paraphernalia on my table. "Why... I didn't think you'd have such a sharp mouth."

Her gaze held me with no amount of innocence, as if she was designed to assume the worst of people and doubt every of their intentions. And she got mine. I thought keeping a low tone and speaking at a slow pace could cover up my annoyance, but she was too quick to catch up.

"May I ask what you are here for, then?"

Her lips curled into a small smile. "My father wanted me to make connections with the Ichihara clan. That would only mean marriage, but I have no plans of that."

She didn't want to marry? She must be in a good family, then.

"Did you get yourself a lover?" If not for a good family, that would come next on the list of reasons.

"I do not believe in such." Kaia rolled her eyes and slumped on the seat. She let her head lean back as she faced the roof of the gazebo. "Getting tied down to a man is possibly the saddest thing that can ever happen to a woman."

That was a thought I had not heard from anyone yet. Men, women- everyone believed marriage was always to be considered. It had too many benefits to even think about not wanting one.

But love in marriage...

If she was yearning for that, then I would say she was more naive than intelligent.