III - 𝙰 𝙻𝚘𝚟𝚎𝚕𝚎𝚜𝚜 𝙼𝚊𝚛𝚛𝚒𝚊𝚐𝚎

If there were something I had absolutely no explanation of, it was why the red string attached to my little finger extended north

If there were something I had absolutely no explanation of, it was why the red string attached to my little finger extended north. It had always rested loosely by my side, but now, an imaginary force seemed to be pulling it towards the other end– the soulmate assigned to me by fate.

What bothered me most was it seemed to be coming with me in the same direction as Hida.

The ceremonial palanquin was spacious and comfortable, but the four corners seemed more distant from me because of its emptiness. No one struck a conversation with me, not even the servants walking behind the palanquin. My family only sent with me two which were certainly out of Sakuya's discretion.

I knew no details about when and how Ryomen Sukuna traveled, but it seemed he went before me. The whole travel was long and uneventful, only stopping for when we would camp a whole moonlight out. By the time the sun had risen, the servants were already back on their feet.

Despite the nagging ache on my head, courtesy of the abundant jewels pinned on my hair and the heavy extravagant necklace Sakuya bought as a parting gift, I remained silent and bit my tongue. My worries were less than what the servants were going through under the harsh sun. I had no right to complain. I was more than blessed. If only I could allow them some rest...

But what if Ryomen Sukuna punishes me? Like how Oka-sama and Oto-sama would.

Being free from the grasps of my parents, I thought I could finally spread my wings and break free from this cage. And yet, with an open air before me, I remembered no one taught me how to fly.

And so, I sit still, silent and unmoving. I waited for until we would camp at night and would only come out to relieve myself. To wherever I'd walk, their heads were all lowered as if they had not obtained permission to lay their eyes on me. No one would speak and would only reach out a basket of food or their meals, in case I wanted to take any. I didn't understand. I had my own share.

Were they this afraid of Ryomen Sukuna, too?

✧•°. ࿐

It was a travel of few days till we reached the province of Hida. And when the accompanying warrior announced our entrance, I couldn't help leaning to a side of the palanquin walls. There sounded a jolly applause and the buzzing talk of the people.

"It's our Sukuna-sama's bride!"

"I heard she is a beauty! From a good family in the capital, too."

"I am most delighted my daughter was chosen to serve her in Sukuna-sama's residence!"

My lips parted the moment I managed to comprehend what the people outside were saying. With the talk of Ryomen Sukuna's unsightly appearance and cruel reputation, I was half expecting either a cold welcome or even opposition and hostility.