16

"You and Takashi seem close," My mother said suggestively at the breakfast table.

"What? No, we're just really good friends," I stammered with an awkward laugh, trying not to flush a bright red.

My mother rolled her eyes playfully. "Even if you two are a thing, I'd still love you no matter what," She started.

"Thanks mom, I know, we don't, we don't need to have this conversation right now. I got to go to meet up with Haru!" I rambled, getting up and grabbing my bag.

"Make sure to use protection!" My mother shouted making me want to curl into a ball and die.

"Mom!" I shouted back exasperatedly as I left.

I darted out of the house and took my bike to Haruhi's apartment. Once I got there I left my bike against the side of the building and climbed the stairs. I grabbed my keys and unlocked the door, letting myself in.

"Haruhi, I'm here!" I called. I was met with silence. I went into her room to see if she had fallen asleep but it was empty.

I took out my cellphone and called her.

"Ru! Hi! Sorry, I know I'm late. I'm on my way back from the store," Haruhi rushed as she answered the phone.

"Oh alright. Do you need me to help carry groceries?" I offered.

"No, I got it... Oh crap," Haruhi grumbled.

"What?" I asked worriedly.

"They're here," Haruhi said dryly.

"Do I have time to grab my bike and dip?" I grimaced.

"No! You can't leave me here with them!" She retorted.

"Fine," I sighed.

I heard the doorknob twist and I darted to Haruhi's room. I pushed her window open and started to climb out. 

Just as I was about lift my other leg over the window sill someone grabbed my shirt and started pulling me back in.

"No! Haruhi let go!" I yelped, holding onto either side of the window, trying to prevent her from yanking me in.

"Nice try Ru, but I know all of your tricks!" Haruhi huffed, dumping me onto the floor.

I let out a defeated sigh and got up, dusting myself off.

"Hey Ru-Senpai!" The twins greeted as Haruhi nudged me into the room with the other hosts. 

"Hey," I grumbled, sitting down between Honey and Mori.

After Haruhi made some weird tea the twins' brought, she sat down on the other side of Mori and Honey broke out the cake.

"You like strawberries, right? You can have mine," Takashi said as he transferred his strawberries over to Haruhi's plate.

I never thought I'd ever get jealous over something so small. But I guess there's a first for everything.

I felt Mori tense up slightly when he caught my glance. I gave his knee a reassuring squeeze.

"Hey, Ru-Ru, would you mind getting a few things from the store?" Haruhi asked.

"Yeah, sure thing, text me the list," I replied, standing up.

Haruhi stayed to entertain while I slipped my shoes on and stepped outside.                

I closed the door behind me and turned, only to freeze in my tracks as I saw my Dad trying to get into his apartment, fumbling with his keys.