Chapter 5: A Powerful Apprentice

It was the day after Lemon'Pelt got kicked out and no one had seen any trace of him yet. Brown'Paw was just hunting for birds and rabbits since he was exhausted of eating mice. It was early in the morning so Brown'Paw was the only one hunting.

He heard a rustle in the bush a few feet away from him. He snuck toward the noise, ever so cautiously. Once he was close enough, he pounced. His prey happened to be a mouse. He let go of the mouse in disgust and wondered further into the marshy forest.

Brown'Paw had heard about frogs living in Shadow Clan territory and went to see if he could catch any. He was nervous since the marshy pond bed was slippery and a very different terrain from his other hunts.

Brown'Paw slipped into the dark and deep, marshy water, scaring off some frogs Brown'Paw hadn't noticed they were there. I need to get better at observing the marshes, Brown'Paw thought to himself.

He climbed out, almost slipping back into the swampy water. His fur was heavy and he looked like a muddy rat. When he was dry, he would be considered a large apprentice, but when he is wet you could see that it was mostly fluff making him look large.

He trotted back to camp, which took a good ten minutes, enough time to dry a little. Brown'Paw was still really wet when he got back to camp but he was dryer than before.

"I see you got into some trouble." Fused'Fur chuckled as she came up to the wet apprentice.

"I just tried to hunt a frog..." Brown'Paw said feeling cold and heavy.

"Don't worry, I'm sure your new mentor will give you a good lesson on how to hunt in the swamp." Fused'Fur said.

"Yea.." Brown'Paw said, wanting to leave this conversation to dry himself.

"Well anyway, I need to go to a meeting with the leader. Make sure to come to the meeting tonight." Fused'Fur said, trotting off to the leader's den.

Brown'Paw went into a sunniest spot he new, which just happened to be the rock near the Shadow Clan's entrance.

He trotted out of the camp and up to the sunny rock. It would be a good place since the sun was out. The rock was mossy and warm to the touch. He climbed up and curled into a ball on the most comfortable part he could find.

He took this time to think, who would my new mentor be? He started listing the warriors he new. First is Fused'Fur, the one he met first. Next, is Cinnamon'Spice, he saw her when he got his first mentor. Then there was the grey cat, he thought his name was Ash'Chirp. Maybe he could get the leader? Probably not, she was a very busy cat. He new a few more cats, Haze'Storm, the pretty blueish queen, Cave'Pool, the deputy, and Death'Feather, a black cat with feather-like fur.

He was stumped. None of them would probably want to be his mentor and considering the amount of a kits  who just turned six moons, most of them would be taken. He was lost in thought, to the point that he didn't notice the time tick by.

Brown'Paw got up and headed to camp only a few minutes before the meeting started. He ran down the entrance and sat next to a few soon-to-be-apprentices.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey join here beneath the Clanrock  for a meeting!" Nightmare'Star shouted.

The cats gathered around. Whispers made their way around the cats.

"I have heard that some kits need mentors." Nightmare'Star said, looking at a kit to her left. "Toad'Kit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Toad'Paw. Your mentor will be Ash'Chirp"