Chapter 05; Dr. Cullen

Carlisle's POV
After seeing Elizabella, and her reaction to being held by Edward, I quickly entered my office and started going through books and papers about hybrids and half breeds.

Someone suddenly entered and my eyes snapped over to my beautiful wife looking at me in concern "Darling? What's wrong?" She asked believing that there was a problem making me immediately walk over to comfort her "No, no, no! There's nothing wrong sweetheart."

I immediately wrapped her in my arms and buried my nose in her hair. Neither one of us were fond of PDA or pet names in front of our children. So these small acts were reserved between us behind closed doors.

Esme buried her nose in my neck and inhaled in an attempt to soothe her frazzled nerves "You just... You left so abruptly that I thought you were angry or upset" her words didn't fail to make my heart melt and flutter. I pulled away slightly and leaned down to kiss her lips lovingly before explaining myself to her.

"I'm not upset. I promise. It's just that....seeing Elizabella's appearance and her behavior towards Edward versus her behavior towards Rosalie has me thinking about something that I read and brushed aside at first..." I said to her making her nod as her eyes light up in realization.

"You're in work mode..." She said smiling making me nod. She chuckled, adoring my curiosity and thirst for knowledge, "Well, that's too bad...our new bed frame came and I just finished putting it together..." she said with a timidly mischievous look.

Leftover trauma from her bastard ex husband still affected her confidence in certain aspects of our current relationship.

Nevertheless, her words didn't fail to make my eyes widen and arousal to fill my being "But if you're too busy..." she starts and walks away 'Screw research. It can wait' I thought before zooming after her and picking her up bridal style and zipping to our bedroom.

~~~timeskip~~~
Early the next morning, Alice and Rosalie went hunting with Alice dragging Edward along with them. Esme was caring for the still sleeping little ones while Jasper and Emmett were being surprisingly quiet while playing video games.

I took this time to go back to researching.

I skimmed through the papers and read about the supposed origins of vampires from some old Latin scrolls that were a gift to me from my friend Marcus. They were interesting and valuable to say the least.

It was the oldest texts that I've seen by far, and definitely had a great theory of where we came from.

It starts out as Angel falling from grace after bedding a human, which was a big law up in heaven, and consequently both the Angel and the offspring were cursed by god as punishment. The Angel was turned into a demon-- the first ever demon- and the offspring was cursed with the craving for blood, therefore turning it into the first vampire.

The texts continues the story and compares vampirism to a disease that quickly spread throughout Europe and Asia before hunters, like my father, were formed.

I frowned at the unpleasant memories of my father and childhood, before moving on to the next scroll which discusses soul bonds. I was about to push it aside, finding it not useful, only to stop upon seeing a certain Latin word.

Dimidium genera; Half breeds.

I fully sat down at my desk and began reading the text fully.

Soul bonds have always existed in both platonic and romantic relationships. Most always associate said bonds with soulmates as they are the best examples, however they neglect platonic bonds.

These bonds are created by the lack of familiar love in their relationships with one's parents or siblings. It is a desperate process of searching for platonic love.

Both bonds are forever after they are formed, even after death the souls will go out of their way to find the other in the next life.

Half breeds in particular have interesting bonds.

Half breeds are normally rejected by their parents, who are unable to fathom the fact that they gave birth to a monstrous creature. Half breeds have no place in the human race in the supernatural world, they are the bastardized abomination of all races.

This leads them to bonding with new parents. The female typically expresses a strong desire for a child, and more often than not, is unable to have one of her own. The male's on the other hand are often mated to the female before hand, or they have a strong compatibility to become mates.

Half breeds will prey on these unsuspecting couples and try to bond with them on a soul level, therefore preventing the new parents from leaving.

Half breeds are unusually intelligent and have evolved to search for their parents inside the womb. They will also alter their appearance to mimic that of their chosen parents.

Once the new bonds are formed, there is no going back to the old parents. If the new parents reject the bonds then one of two things could happen, either the half breed will die or simply find new parents to prey upon.

I stopped reading after that and instead stopped to think of the possibility of this all being true. If it was, while I knew that Edward would be heartbroken but Rosalie would be so happy to finally get what she wants most in the world.

It was a lose-lose situation, but I couldn't help but wonder if I could convince Edward to let Elizabella go....

Rosalie deserves happiness after all we've put her through.