THIRTY-SEVEN ~ Truth

September 1, 1995

All the first years were sorted quickly. There were only seven new Slytherins. Four girls and three boys. Ariana sat in her usual seat at dinner, her friends all surrounding her like old times. It was almost like nothing had changed but Violet kept on staring at her the whole time.

Ariana noticed this and grew uncomfortable under her gaze. "Is there something wrong, Violet?" Ariana asked as she picked at the remnants of the Kedgeree on her plate.

"Can we talk later?" Violet asked with a warm smile.

"Of course." Ariana assumed that it was to continue their talk from a few weeks ago before Tonks had rudely interrupted them. "I'll meet you in our dormitory once I take the first years."

"Oh. That's why you weren't on the train. You were chosen as prefect, weren't you, Ari?" Carter asked.

Ariana nodded. "Yes, I was. I have curfew duty at eight-thirty, though. It can't take long. I have to patrol the grand staircase."

"Who was the new male prefect?" Aiden asked.

"There's no need to be concerned, Aiden. It is only Draco."

"Only Draco?"

"Yes."

"If you say so." Aiden slurped up his pea soup. "Who's that new lady?" he motioned his head towards the High Table where the Hogwarts staff sat.

"I have no idea." Ariana eyed her carefully. There was a toad-like woman dressed entirely in pink. 'She looks familiar though...' The woman had a forced wide smile on her face as she ate. "Perhaps she's the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

The feast was over when Dumbledore rose from his seat and stood at his podium. "Good evening, children. Now, we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank, who'll be taking over Care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave. We also wish to welcome our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. Now, as usual, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you..."

The headmaster was interrupted by a high pitched cough. The new professor stood and began to speak. She stood out like a flamingo in a murder of crows with her pink attire. The other professors were wearing darker colors. "Thank you, headmaster, for those kind words of welcome. And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me. I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." She forced a smile down at the students. Ariana looked at her with suspicion. This Professor Umbridge looked... Fake. "The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school, progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited."

"That doesn't... Sound... Good?" Violet frowned in confusion.

"Preserve what must be preserved... Perfect what can be perfected... And prune practices that ought to be prohibited..." Ariana shook her head in disapproval. "The Ministry is taking over Hogwarts." 'No wonder why she looks familiar. She works at the Ministry.' The headmaster's speech was soon over and all the students left the Great Hall.

"First years! First years please stay seated for now!" Draco ordered. Once the older students mostly gone, he gathered all the first years and introduced himself. "Good evening, all of you. I am Prefect Malfoy, Draco Malfoy."

"Are we supposed to be impressed by that?" A first year asked.

"What's your name, kid?" Draco questioned.