Letter 8

Letter eight: August

"Lily, I think it's pretty clear now. I like you," Marcus confessed, his words a revelation that left Lily both taken aback and oddly relieved.

All those shared moments – the hugs, the words, the stolen kisses – had built up to this.
Yet, before she could voice her thoughts, Marcus's admission seemed to have been woven into the stars above.

It was as if she had been watching a play unfold, but the ending still managed to surprise her. There was joy in realizing that her instincts had been right all along.

"But..." Lily's voice trailed off, wanting to question the week's silence. However, happiness swelled within her, and the words she would have said faded. Finally, they stood on common ground – they both liked each other, an unspoken truth now spoken.

"You can't see, but I'm kinda at your doorstep," Marcus revealed.

"What?" Lily exclaimed, her heart skipping a beat. The screen was dim, leaving her clueless about Marcus's whereabouts.

She hastily powered down her phone and dashed downstairs to greet him. Careful not to wake her sleeping mother, she swung open the door.

"You idiot!" she playfully chided, throwing herself into his arms. He effortlessly caught her and twirled her around, a moment of sheer elation. Their embrace lingered, the silence between them more profound than words.

In Marcus's arms, Lily found solace and happiness, yet a hint of unease lingered. He hadn't opened up about the past week, a sliver of uncertainty in this newfound connection.

A tear escaped Lily's eye, prompting Marcus to tenderly wipe it away, his touch reassuring.

"I'm here now," Marcus assured, his eyes reflecting a promise.

For now, Lily thought, but the words remained unsaid. She wanted to live in this fairy tale, to savor every second of their shared present before the inevitable future.

"I like you," Lily confessed, their surroundings painted by the moon's gentle glow, and the night harmonized with the chorus of crickets and the rustle of leaves.

"I know," Marcus replied, his voice a calm affirmation of their feelings. He cupped Lily's cheek, his lips meeting hers in a soft kiss, warmth against the cool night air.

As they savored the kiss, reality beckoned – they had families waiting and responsibilities to uphold.

"Just a little bit more," Lily whispered, as if they could suspend time itself.

"We have to go back," Marcus whispered in reply, the promise of tomorrow in his voice.

Lily reluctantly released Marcus from their embrace, gazing at him with questioning eyes.
"What are we?" she ventured, uncertainty tinging her words.

"Let's talk about this tomorrow, it's already late," Marcus suggested, his eyes warm and steady.

"But what if you vanish again or change your mind?" Lily voiced her fears.

"I won't," he assured, planting a gentle kiss on her cheek.

The following day, just as they had planned, Marcus and Lily had a candid conversation about their feelings, their future, and finally took the step to officially date. Marcus, though, slyly promised a more romantic proposal down the line, an idea that Lily loved.

Eager to share her happiness, Lily couldn't wait to tell Charlotte about her new relationship. But they quickly agreed to hold off on telling others for a couple of weeks, letting this new chapter settle.

As they headed to the shelter together, Marcus and Lily held hands and exchanged affectionate glances. However, once inside, it was all about business.

"Hey, Charlotte. You're here early," Lily greeted.