Chapter 32: Our Divorce becomes final today

So, today is the day for our divorce hearing. I haven't been sleeping well for the last couple of days. I think Cody knows I am struggling with this. Never did I think I would be getting a divorce.

I just keep hearing that old Tammy Wynette song Our d-i-v-o-r-c-e becomes final today me, and little J-o-e will be moving away.

The fact is we moved away ten months ago, and it was me, Nathaniel, Jayden, and Natalie who moved away while he was on tour. 

Don't get me wrong, I am completely in love with Cody. He is so sweet to me and the kids; it's just hard that the man I thought I would spend the rest of my life with could hurt me and that I would be going through this.

Cody has been really sweet since Jordan and I talked. Cody took Nathaniel and Jayden to school today. Yep, Nathaniel started kindergarten last week, and Jayden started Pre-K, so now it's just me and Natalie at home.

Jordan was really nice when we picked the kids up after we talked. He was even nice to Cody. So, he knows that Cody is coming with me to our hearing today just for emotional support.  

Cody comes into the kitchen while I sip my coffee and wraps his arms around my waist. I lean my body into his. He snuggles into my neck and kisses me.

"Good morning, beautiful."

"Good morning, babe. You always know exactly what I need."

"Look, today is going to be emotional for you and Jordan. So, I am here to support you in any way you need. If you want to cry your eyes out when we leave the courthouse, I will be your shoulder to cry on. If you want to talk, I will listen. If you want to pig out on junk food, I will make a run to the store. I'm here for whatever you need."

She smiled and turned around in his arms, then wrapped her arms around his neck. "What if I just want you to make love to me?"

"Well, then we can make love all day and night if you want. Jordan is getting Nathaniel and Jayden from school, and Sharon is watching Natalie until we are finished at court, then taking her to Jordan's, so it will be just you and me."

"I think I like that plan." She leaned in and kissed him a deep, hungry kiss.

"Baby, if you don't stop that, we will be late to court. We will pick this up when we get home." He took a deep breath, and she laughed. 

We drove to the courthouse, and I walked around and helped her out. We walked in holding hands. People were watching us and taking photos. We walked to the area for her hearing, and her attorney was standing there. 

"Mrs. Knight and Mr. Runnels, how are you both doing today?"   

"We are good. How are you, Mr. Kaeper?"

"Good, doing good. Okay, so I received the paper yesterday with the full amount you will receive in the divorce. Half of his total net worth and the agreed amount for Child and spousal support. Is the information correct about him reimbursing you for the nine months you were separated and the amount you spent of your personal money after you left the marriage?"

"Yes, he wrote me a check for one hundred and eighty thousand about three weeks ago, and I have received a check every week for fifteen hundred dollars."

"Perfect, so we won't have to fight for back pay. This should be an easy process since you both have agreed and have a written visitation for your three children."

"Yes, he gets the kids whenever he is off tour. Other than that, the kids are with me."

"Now, Mr. Runnels, have you and Mrs. Knight officially moved in together?"