Brave New World

Caroline woke up with a start, looking for who she thought was Elena and when she couldn't see anyone, goes out of the room. The nurse was the only one in sight and Caroline walked up to her. 

"Excuse me? Where is everyone?" She asked, confused ad the nurse smiled at her. 

"It's the middle of the night honey." She said and Caroline glanced at the clock on the wall in shock. 

"It is? Oh, uh...have you seen my mom?" She asked, wondering where her mother was and she would ask after Amy if her mother left. 

"She left after dinner with your friend Amelia and your boyfriend and then your friend Elena stepped by." The nurse said and Caroline started in remembrance. 

"She did? Yeah, she did but she said her name was Katherine. Can I just get something to eat?" She mumbled that to herself before realizing how hungry she was. 

"Breakfast comes around seven." The nurse said, sympathetically and Caroline frowned at her. 

"But I'm hungry." She protested and the nurse pointed towards Caroline's room .

"You should go back to sleep." She ordered and Caroline stepped towards her room, but stopped when she smelt something delicious. 

"What is that smell?" She asked and the nurse shook her head.

"Back to bed." The nurse ordered before walking away, but Caroline stayed in the hallway. She looked around at everything before seeing a blood bag in another patient's room. She went towards the bag and touched it, but the nurse came back and gawked at her. 

"What are you doing in here?" She asked and Caroline shrugged. 

"I don't know." She admitted and then the nurse grabbed Caroline's arm. 

"You need to go back to bed." The nurse insisted as she led Caroline back to her room before leaving. After she had left, Caroline sat down on her bed and took out the blood bag that she had stolen from her pocket. She took a drink out of it, but made a face as she didn't like it before throwing it on the floor. After a second, she looked down at the bag on the floor, climbed down from her bed and picked it up again. She started drinking again until her fangs appeared and the veins started flickering under her eyes. 

***

Everyone was preparing for the Mystic Falls High School Carnival. As they did so, Bonnie and Elena were helping Amy take care of everything and were discussing Katherine. 

"Katherine looked just like you, it was freakish." Bonnie admitted and Elena shrugged. 

"She is my ancestor. Hey, I moved the student booth into the cafeteria." She reminded Bonnie before pointing out something that she had changed. 

"Your vampire ancestor and she didn't just resemble you like a family member would. She was you." Bonnie stressed and Elena looked at her. 

"I don't know, I can't explain it. It's creepy, that's all I got." She admitted and Bonnie looked around before moving closer to Elena. 

"How do you know she's not still out there pretending to be you?" She asked and Elena shook her head. 

"I don't but I could sit here and be tortured by the not-knowing or I could get these prizes to the ring toss." She pointed out and Bonnie looked at Elena. 

"Have you talked to Damon since he compelled Amy?" Bonnie asked and Elena sighed, feeling a bit guilty. 

"No Bonnie, I haven't and I won't and I don't want to talk about Damon or anything else that's vampire related okay?", Elena said before giving a bag full of plush to Bonnie, "I'm human. And I have to do human stuff. Otherwise, I'm going to go crazy."