Farewell To A Beloved Friend

Spoilers for ch. 101 and S5 ep8

Author's Note:

Hoshizuki has a ponytail that changes color based on her mood. The colors used here are blue, dark grey, and red. Blue is sad, dark grey is disgusted, and red is anger. There are others but they aren't mentioned here ;3

Hoshizuki stood next to Sigma, looking on in horror. Fyodor had triggered the alarm and the doors were closing. Water was beginning to rise up from the floor, but not just any water. It was as Nikolai said, it was heavier than regular water. If it were just the demon in there she wouldn't care less but Chuuya was in there too. Her best friend...

A hitched inhale sounded from Hoshizuki's direction as she clutched at her heart. Large tears welled up in her eyes and rolled down her rosy cheeks. Sigma took notice of the small woman's reaction and looked at her with surprise. He wearily reached his hand out to pat her shoulder in an attempt to make her feel better. When she noticed she panicked and smacked his hand away.

That managed to bring her out of her shock. Hoshizuki ran over to Dazai and the intercom system. The streams of her tears fell onto the system as she tried to say something. Every little word got caught in her throat when she tried to speak. Was Chuuya even in there anymore..? Or was it just a mindless vampire following its leader like a dog? Either way to her it was still Chuuya.

She slammed her hands down on the machine, being sure not to break it. Hoshizuki made sure the microphone was on before she spoke. Her words came out sounding choked. Her shouting was blood-curdling and chilling, it even gave Sigma goosebumps. Sniffles and hiccups were scattered throughout her speech. "CHUUYA!! NONONO!! It can't end like this!! Not here, not now!!" her nose was beginning to sting as more tears came and fell.

She whirled around to face Dazai, her face shrouded with horror and fear. There must be something they could do!! Leaving their friend to die like that was cruel. The look in his eyes told her that this was the end for both Chuuya Nakahara and Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Gurgling sounds of drowning came from the speakers and it only made her cry harder.

Hoshizuki turned back around to look at the surveillance camera. The room was a little more than halfway full. "Nakahara, please!! SNAP OUT OF IT, I KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE!!" loud hiccups and sobs speckled her speech as she spoke to what she claimed to be Chuuya, "DAMN YOU FYODOR!! I'LL KILL YOU MYSELF!! CH-CHUUYA!!" Her fist pounded on the desk and she sunk to the floor feeling defeated.

Dazai carefully picked up Hoshizuki and handed her to Sigma to hold her for a moment. Now it was his turn to speak to Fyodor and Chuuya. He cleared his throat before speaking directly to his former partner, "Chuuya, it looks like this is goodbye. It's a shame that it had to end this way."

The water was almost at the top of the room and the gurgling sounds only became louder and more frequent. There was a pause before Dazai continued, "We never did get along, did we? But..." A blanket of quiet draped over the room aside from the drowning sounds and bubbling water. "... Come to think of it now, there were times when we understood each other."

Silent tears rolled down Hoshizuki's cheeks as she noticed all of the memories racing through his mind. Seconds of silence befell the room as those thoughts flooded his mind. He seemed so lost in thought, in his own little world. It was obvious to her that the gears in his head were turning right now. Then he spoke again, "For example..." Once again there was silence. It was just a few seconds but it felt like hours. "Sorry, I couldn't think of anything. Anyway..." A quiet gasp escaped Hoshizuki's lips when those words left his mouth, "Goodbye!"

A delighted grin was plastered across Dazai's lips and he waved to the surveillance with his right hand. As he moved his hair swayed into his line of sight. Moments later Chuuya's beloved hat floated to the top of the water. "CHUUYA!!" Another blood-curdling cry came from Hoshizuki as she tried to stand. Her legs were all wobbly and shaky as she tried to walk. She unsurprisingly collapsed to the ground and hung her head, hiding her face in her hands. Each and every sob sounded louder than the last.

Dazai crouched down to Hoshizuki's level and went to pat her head but she only smacked it away. Her ponytail went from blue to grey and finally landed on red. There were so many conflicted feelings in her heart but rage seemed to be the dominant emotion. She shoved her boyfriend away from her and she ran over to Sigma. He was still practically a stranger but she'd rather be by him at this moment.

Dazai wasn't upset that she'd pushed him away. If anything it was expected from her. Her best friend of 7 years was just killed in front of her. She mumbled something under her breath that Dazai barely caught. "That smile..." Sigma just awkwardly held her by the shoulders and Dazai cocked his head to the side. "What..?"

Hoshizuki looked up at him with rage and sorrow blazing in her eyes. Her cheeks were stained with the salt from her tears and more continued to flow. "That damn smile," her voice was shaking uncontrollably, "Why..? Why were you smiling like that..?" A deafening silence fell over the room. He didn't have an answer to that. Maybe it just felt right?

"There really wasn't anything else we could have done?! Why did Chuuya have to be collateral damage?!" She was fuming and she quickly rushed out of the room. Hoshizuki didn't go far, just outside of the surveillance room. With her back pressed against the wall, she slid down and was huddled in the fetal position. She gripped tightly onto her hair and cried, oh how she cried. Dazai and Sigma were left in the room just looking at each other.

The End