SPARKS FLY

layout idea / inspo creds for this + the graphics to the one and only lcverreid !

. . .

started: september 9th, 2023
published: september 19th, 2023
finished: ongoing

. . .

A THE SUMMER I TURNED PRETTY FIC, conrad fisher x oc

. . .

PROLOGUE

. . .

Madison Sutton's life was, by all accounts, good.

She had a great family. Her parents were amazing, kind, and hardworking people. And she had her twin — Sparrow — that was her other half, literally and figuratively. She had plenty of friends, and a fair amount of hobbies. She was social, she loved going out, enjoying herself, just over all having fun.

Her life, for all intents and purposes, was very good. But it was far from... conventional.

For starters, her parents were young. Like, young, young. As in her mother, Nancy, got pregnant with Maddie and Sparrow at sixteen, young. Her father, Oliver, only a year older. And that was just the top of the iceberg that was the bizarre family life.

Nancy, once upon a time, was a reckless party girl in the middle of New York City. There was hardly anything she hadn't dabbled in, from substances, to relationships. The cause to this effect, was, as her mother had once explained to Maddie when she was old enough to understand, a giant 'fuck you' to her parents, who were so strict and conservative, it brought new meaning to the word. And that was putting it nicely. Of course, her reckless actions crashed down around her in very harsh consequences. But Nancy always said, while she regretted a lot of the things she did in her teenage years, having the twins was never one of them, and never would be.

To Nancy's surprise, however, when she told Oliver, who at the time, was just some fun hookup added to her already decently sized list of flings, stepped up tremendously. Upon getting to know him, despite the excursions that had lead up to the conception would have her believe, Oliver was quite diligent and kind. And, as fate would have it, six months into the pregnancy, the pair actually ended up becoming an official couple.

On the other end of the spectrum, however, there were Nancy's parents. The at-the-time teenager kept her pregnancy hidden from them as long as she physically could. Why? Because she knew what the inevitable outcome to that would be.

Homelessness.

And, half way through, she had been right. In under twelve hours, Nancy had been booted from her home. She spent a good few weeks couch surfing until Oliver's parents found out. And while they were not thrilled with the fact their son had gotten a young girl pregnant, they were not about to sit around and let this sixteen year old be stuck on the streets.

To this day, while Maddie and Sparrow still see their paternal grandparents regularly, but only really indirectly met their maternal grandparents once... and luckily, they didn't even remember it.

So, Maddie and Sparrow were raised by a mix of people as kids. Spending up to their toddler years in New York, the twins were brought up by both their parents, and their paternal grandparents while Nancy and Oliver worked, both job, and education wise. Around the time the twins were two, the family learned Sparrow was, in fact, deaf. Of course, there was no way they could ever afford to get their kid cochlear implants. And hearing aids seemed to only help so much, with how extensive the lord was.